ember tetra has torn fins and a worm, Please help w solutions

tabletopfishguy

Reaction score
i recently just did a move and as im observing my tank theres an ember tetra with torn fins thats schooling but non stop twitching and has a worm on the back of its tail that is moving, Could anyone diagnose this and give me a solution?? All other tank mates including the culled shrimp in there are A okay. Need help since im also raising secluded guppy fry in the same tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 15
I need clear pictures of the fish to see the worm.

The damaged tail could be from nipping or an infection. I would try doing a big water change, gravel cleaning the substrate, cleaning the filter and adding some salt. Then see how it goes over the next few days.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

----------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for 1 to 2 weeks.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Most reactions

Back