Do you have Cherry Shrimp?

Oh my, mine are coming along nicely… i finished routing a hard water line to the bulk of my aquariums today… previously my option was only RO water, today I can start blending it…my shrimp all started at 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch… today I saw what looked like close to a dozen ( that was my starter group, was a batch of 4, then a batch of 8 ) and half of them were an inch long… I’m thinking that bacter AE is helping my starter culture…. They are looking way better than I expected
Glasgarten products seems to be top notch, I ordered some baby food and dinner pads last week.

I'm also using the Bacter AE, in tanks that have plecos & hillstream loaches, and Panda Garras, I think they are all getting something from eating bio film, containing it, when it lands on surfaces that these fish eat off of, as well as my shrimp... it also seems to be beneficial to fish fry as well...

I've been mixing the powder in a small jar, with water from each particular tank, shaking it up good, & pouring the cloud into the tank, away from the filter intakes...

Last edited:
3 of mine munching on an almond leaf
IMG_4948.jpeg

Not to hijack this thread, but I am new at shrimp (with shrimp?) and read that eggs won't show through the shell of some red ones... is this true?
It is harder to see the eggs in some red shrimp. But you can pretty much tell because if a shrimp has eggs, they’re moving their swimmerets.
correct, plus a berried (pregnant) mother will be much larger than other shrimp and look almost bloated.

It depends just how red the mother is. With the really strong red shrimps it's hard to see, with the less intense red shrimps the eggs are visible.

One of the two large red ones was actually sitting still and in sight, so I tried to get a photo of it:

P1410546.jpg

P1410547.jpg

P1410563.jpg

They both basically look the same BUT they don't look as solid-red in the pics. The one Malok posted is a higher quality one and it is more obvious that the egg-area would be more opaque.

Remark that the second pleuron is overlapping the first one in the opposite direction. Normally they go inward up to the Cephalothorax, That is a sign of ripeness.

Edit: And the mom who have given birth will often remain with the second pleuron in that manner after.

I'm a first grader, not a year completed... What is called a "Mook" in Quebec.

And also males that are "worthy" will show them in time... All the others are shrimplets.

One of the two large red ones was actually sitting still and in sight, so I tried to get a photo of it:

View attachment 340149

View attachment 340150

View attachment 340151

They both basically look the same BUT they don't look as solid-red in the pics. The one Malok posted is a higher quality one and it is more obvious that the egg-area would be more opaque.

I was going to say that yours are a lovely deep red! Much higher grade than I started with, and nice, healthy looking, large females there!

The one in Malok's photo impressed me too, it's definitely a high grade, but also remember that photo quality and lighting makes a big difference to how much the colours "pop". In that photo the shrimp is in a container very close to the camera and with good lighting, but you are taking photos of yours in their own tank, where it's always harder to get photos of our fish and shrimp!

I have fish that look very dull in my darker tank that has a pretty rubbish light, but stick a better light in there and get a close up macro shot like the above shrimp, and they'd look much brighter and more stunning. Photographs involving water, glass, varying lighting, reflections etc is tough! :)
Wishing you all the luck in your shrimp colony growing well for you, and that you see baby shrimp everywhere soon!

Most reactions

Back