BBA attack!

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
hey guys!

Never had BBA before in any of my tanks. But went for a long weekend away and came back to find my aquarium light broken. Had to order another so the tank had very minimal light for about a week.
A lot of my microsorum trident melted away, which sucked because it was in abundance and a super vivid plant for the tank. Anyway. I replaced the light with one form All Pond Solutions as I couldnā€™t get the same light as I had before.

Didnā€™t think much of it tbh, it was super bright but it didnā€™t seem to show the plants off very well when it was on, not compared to the previous one. Just bright but not very well balanced. Turns out this light is just a white light led, as opposed to one made up of rgb .

But now I have a BBA outbreak ravaging the tank, so I can only assume the light intensity is too much, or the white light spectrum has allowed this bloom to happen where the rgb, and daily dosing/clean up crew kept the tank in a perfect balance where algae outbreaks were kept at bay.

This week i put duct tape over half of the leds to hopefully minimise some of the lift intensity, but so far I have no other ideas on how to combat this.

Iā€™m dosing with seachems liquid carbon, and liquid ferts. Should I maybe increase the doses as I combat the outbreak?

I have some Amano shrimp but havenā€™t seen i never see them so god knows if theyā€™re helping or just hiding.

Should I just get a new rgb light instead or is it too late now

Thanks in advance!

there are LED dimmers & timers, that could be added, if the LED's are compatible, otherwise in the long run, you may be better off ( while you have light in the tank ) researching a better replacement???

I deal with bba in one of my tanks. When I get it on plants I remove the leaves that have it. I have also treated with Excel, but have to be careful- I've read it can harm the fish. I have also spot treated with hydrogen peroxide with good results. Scraping it off hardscape helps too.

I have never gotten rid of all of it but I have found a balance. It grows on the back wall of the tank, but I leave it. The shrimp like to climb around in it and get whatever gets stuck there.

I have Amano shrimp but haven't seen them eat it. From what I read, it seems that they eat it as a last resort- not their favorites.

Good luck with it!!

Most reactions

Back