Backup for power outage

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It hasn’t happened yet, but it is one of those things I worry about considering I have 6 tanks. Two are sponge filters that need air pumps and the others are HOB and almost all have heaters (soon all will have heaters). So what should I buy in case the power goes out? Do they have like battery outlets or something :lol:

You can also get battery powered airpumps. Oxygen and the water being turned over are the main things to worry about when the power is out. You can wrap tanks in blankets or those foil heat trapping things to help keep temp from dropping too rapidly, but a battery powered airpump can be a lifesaver.

You can get a large power block. They are pricey but can charge all your devices, heat a small electric cooker, etc. I looked at petrol/gas generators but these are loud, have nasty fumes & you need to leave a window or door open. Not ideal if it's cold. We get power cuts most times there's a big storm so once or possibly twice a year. So we've decided to get the large power block. My Aquarium lost power for 36 hours last month but some homes nearby went 6 days with no power. I didn't lose fish but the temp plummeted & cycle crashed. I'll get a battery operated air stone too. So it depends on how often power cuts happen & the investment you want. For us in the last 3/4 years they've become frequent so we want a solution to keep phones working, cook some food & have light, but bonus it'll keep the Aquarium running.

I'd recommend plugging all your Aquarium electrics into a surge protector extension lead. That will prevent everything blowing when the power comes back. Very useful protection against small interuptions you get with lightening.

This is my Aquarium one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OV0CEY/?tag=

Portable generator:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086BXZXLB/?tag=

For battery backup power, one should look at the typical causes of power interruption in your area. The worst case for me, a major ice storm that knock out power for 10 days. I live on a dead end street and could not get out for 36 hours, major trees blocked the road. Huge snowstorms (Nor'easters) is another issue. Battery backup was not effective in these cases.

Another factor, how do you get hot water? Good news for me, I have natural gas hot water and rarely do you lose natural gas. The bad news, no electric for my basement sump pump which quickly got flooded and knock out the gas heater. IF I had hot water, I may have saved my fish if I had an aquarium at the time by doing numerous water changes with warm water then cover the tank(s) with blankets. Or I could have rigged up a heating loop by connecting a hose to a hot and cold water faucet and open both faucets.

Open for debate, buying a solar panel vs battery backup. The morning after the ice storm for me was brilliant as the storm passed and I watched the sun rise illuminating the trees covered in 1" (24mm) of ice. Of course the horror continued branches and trees continued to fall before the ice melted. If you are a renter, is there a spot like a porch where you can setup a solar panel?

Mark

Last edited:
We're definitely going to invest long term in solar. But we're on main road to the village so usually never more than a few days. We've gas heating but controller is electronic :rofl:

We've gas heating but controller is electronic :rofl:

In that case, a battery power supply would work great if you just have to power electronics.

Wisdom I gained, never buy a house with a wet basement ie: depend on a sump pump. In April during the peak of the pandemic here in New York, my sump pump died and 1/2 my basement had 2-3 inches of water. While the resident newts loved it (yes, I have newts in my basement, cute little guys), what a pain in the ....

Of course my backup pump was being used for something else at the time.

In that case, a battery power supply would work great if you just have to power electronics.

Wisdom I gained, never buy a house with a wet basement ie: depend on a sump pump. In April during the peak of the pandemic here in New York, my sump pump died and 1/2 my basement had 2-3 inches of water. While the resident newts loved it (yes, I have newts in my basement, cute little guys), what a pain in the ....

Of course my backup pump was being used for something else at the time.
Oh no! Sounds stressful. We don't have basements here. Well some very old Georgian houses do but no modern homes as in post 1830 :rofl: there's not really a history of it as most homes in ireland were stone cottages. Then more modern 2 story homes as part of an estate (group of same sized homes built together) or bigger one off homes on bigger private plot.
Edit typo

I live in the Northeast US in an all electric house. Fearing a potential power failure in winter, a few years ago (like 4 or 5) I invested in a high output kerosene heater. I fired it up to test it, then packed it back in it's box in the garage where it has remained unused since I bought it!
You can invest in a generator that you could run outside with a power cord run inside, but most practical if all your tanks are near each other. If you get one large enough, you could (with the main breaker turned off) rig a power cord to plug into a dryer outlet to power your whole house. Then there are very expensive automatic systems that run on propane or natural gas $.
I would not suggest a UPS as they typically only last a couple of hours, intended to keep a pc running until it can be shut down normally to avoid losing any work in progress.
Sooo...your best, and least expensive approach is a few battery powered air pumps and if your heating is compromised, use blankets or other to insulate the tanks. In the case of any external filtration, you want any bio-media to be placed into the tank...and be sure to unplug any external filters as they will need to be cleaned after the power comes back on lest they spew bad water into the tank when it does.
An ounce of prevention may be worth a pound of cure, but a pound of prevention may only be in vain.
Makes me think of the survivalists (now doomsday preppers) that stockpile(d) food and supplies in case of some natural or man made disaster. I doubt much of the food/supplies are much good 20+ years later!

Most reactions

Back