ADA 60F - rescape

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've had a horrendous Cladophora Algae issue in my 8 gallon shallow tank for a couple of months and after trying to battle it I've had to give in and totally strip down the tank. Whole new substrate system, all new plants, new wood, new rocks. Everything apart from the filter (and the tank itself) has been replaced and I gave the actual tank a really good clean too. The only other thing I managed to keep was 2 of my terrestrial plants that have been doing really well - a lime varigated Pothos and a Mini Monstera that I've had for a number of years so glad I could save it. I took cuttings of both plants so that anything that was previously in the water has been binned.

Cladophora is an awful algae, its a relative of the moss balls I believe but this one just grew in thick dense mats and its got a weird smell when you take it out of the water. It just smothers everything and does well in no light, low light and high light...

I've planted heavily from the start with 10 Tropica pots so far, 3 Narrow Java Ferns, 2 Ludwigia, 3 Dwarf Sag and 2 Crypts - the Crypts are the big one that start with a U... I've planted them at the front for now but if they do go big I'll move them. I've also got 2 pots of Eliocharis Vietnam, a small Anubias and a Lobelia Cardinalis Mini on order from Aquarium Gardens which I think will really add to the tank. The Lobelia did really well in my other tank for quite a while, but it got taken over by some more aggressive plants so need to be careful of that this time. I'm excited for the Eliocharis, I've heard good things about it doing well in low tech tanks and hard water - its a grass type plant that gets to about 15cm.

The substrate is Wio Eonian Powder and it is like a real soil, not the balls or grains from other kinds. I love Eonian as there is no ammonia spike and its been designed to last long term - Wio claim 10 years but even if its half of that fantastic. The sand is JBL Sansibar River and its a bit lighter than I would have liked but it will fade over time and may mix with the soil anyway so we can see.

The wood also from Ings Lane I think would be labeled as structure wood in other places but its made up of 3 pieces which I've glued together with rocks to keep it down (seems to have worked). This wood is soaking water up to the pieces that break the surface which the Redmoore Roots I used to have never did so I might try and get some moss to grow on here.

The most stressful part was getting the Oase Filtosmart to start again after I took it apart, you have to fill it right to the brim, there is no priming support like the Biomaster. Took me far too long but seems ok this morning.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 10.03.51.png

Wills

I have this green hair algae issue in a small tank I have. I was watching a YouTube video and they were talking about hair algae and said that it is more prolific if you have a lot of wood to water ratio. It was due to the wood slowly decomposing and feeding the algae, which is the reason it's hard to get rid of. I don't know how true it is but it made sense when they said it because I had a large piece of wood in my tank and the algae just hangs off of it and grows and grows.

I have this green hair algae issue in a small tank I have. I was watching a YouTube video and they were talking about hair algae and said that it is more prolific if you have a lot of wood to water ratio. It was due to the wood slowly decomposing and feeding the algae, which is the reason it's hard to get rid of. I don't know how true it is but it made sense when they said it because I had a large piece of wood in my tank and the algae just hangs off of it and grows and grows.
Thats interesting I've not heard of that before - with this one it wasn't just on the wood, it gathered at the surface, it got inbetween all the leaves, it was in the substrate, on the substrate. I think it gets called blanket weed in some instances which makes a lot of sense.

The rest of my plants arrived this morning so I have added them in and I think its finished it off nicely.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 14.34.56.png

Yes, I believe it started on the wood in my tank, then eventually went everywhere as you described. It's a losing battle once it gets that bad I think. I have ammano shrimp in there now, they made babies, still not making much of dent in the issue though.

Yes, I believe it started on the wood in my tank, then eventually went everywhere as you described. It's a losing battle once it gets that bad I think. I have ammano shrimp in there now, they made babies, still not making much of dent in the issue though.
Thats interesting - just a head up though, if the Amano shrimp are breeding in freshwater they probably are not Amanos as their shrimplets need brackish water to hatch and survive the initial period of life.

I know this was the Cladaphora Algae as it came in when I bought my Cherry Shrimp from a hobbyist I got loads of detritus in the bag with them which gave me Duckweed, Mayfly Nymphs and this algae... I remember thinking oh cool moss balls and duck weed... oh how naive I was!

Wills

They are most likley cherry shrimp then. I wasn't aware about the brackish water for breeding amano.
I bought some amano a while back but got a chocolate colored cherry instead. I also purchase more amano later on and there's still a couple of them in there. I'm a very novice shrimp keeper.

They are most likley cherry shrimp then. I wasn't aware about the brackish water for breeding amano.
I bought some amano a while back but got a chocolate colored cherry instead. I also purchase more amano later on and there's still a couple of them in there. I'm a very novice shrimp keeper.
There are a couple of species that get labeled as Amanos and one of them does reproduce in freshwater but those ones have the reputation of not eating algae like the true Amanos.

I'm no shrimp snob though my cherries are super low grade and I have 6 Amanos in my other tank that are about 3.5 years old :)

Most reactions

Back