55g Himalayan Foothills Paludarium

No, same tank. And no, I still haven't found any bodies or sign of anything. I still dump in a few fruit flies every few days just in case they've gone nocturnal or are semi-hibernating. I'm about half tempted to just take out all the moss and see if I can find them...
My spotted raphael, which is nocturnal, hasn't shown his face for at least 2 weeks. I'm just assuming he's back there. When I first got him, he would at least swim out for a minute- make the rounds and then go back, but I'm just guessing he found a really good spot and got comfy. Not as much fun to keep a pet you don't see. I guess when I do see him, and you see your frogs, it will be a more memorable event. :)

What if you tried newts or salamanders? I'm not sure about their compatibility with fish but if it's possible they might be fun.
I've been looking into crocodile newts (Tylototriton sp), and fire belly newts, as both fit my region and look interesting. Trouble is they're nocturnal and almost completely aquatic. I really want something living on that land area. But yeah, it's an interesting idea.

There are lots of interesting frogs and toads in the Himalayan foothills area, but unfortunately none of them are available in the hobby. The Badgerling and I are talking about pulling a @GaryE and going on a collecting trip. Thus far, the funding for such a trip has not materialized.

Decided to order a pair of scarlet badis and see how they do with the current. Reports vary, but it's a big enough tank, with varied enough habitat, that I think they'll be able to find a nook to suit themselves.

Still no frog sightings. We have some friends visiting who are both biologist types, and they were quite fascinated with the disappearing frog story. Their hypothesis is that they've gone nocturnal for some reason. It's possible.

Did I mention that I'm considering a couple of these? Greenback frogs. True to the area, said to be very adaptable, and active enough that they probably won't completely disappear even though they're mostly nocturnal. They are really cute; I like their huge eyes and pointy noses.
1709996242301.jpeg

I'd have to be careful to get small ones, though...as you can see, they're a Rana type frog and a full-grown one could easily devour my tiny FBTs, if there are any still in there. That would be detrimental to both of them, though my money would be on the fire belly. Also they are extremely active jumpers, and I worry that they'd bash against the aquarium lid and hurt themselves everytime something startled them. Need to have a chat with a breeder and find out more about them.

I know how frustrating it is when your frogs disappear! Slightly different but I have African Dwarf Frogs and had to move them out of my main tank while I dosed for worms. The biggest, fattest one just completely disappeared one day. I tore that tank apart several times looking for her, there was nowhere she could've jumped out and I never found a body, just completely gone. I actually tore that tank down today to return them back to the main tank and was still looking in vain hope I'd find her, but no joy.

I know how frustrating it is when your frogs disappear! Slightly different but I have African Dwarf Frogs and had to move them out of my main tank while I dosed for worms. The biggest, fattest one just completely disappeared one day. I tore that tank apart several times looking for her, there was nowhere she could've jumped out and I never found a body, just completely gone. I actually tore that tank down today to return them back to the main tank and was still looking in vain hope I'd find her, but no joy.
Sometimes in a bioactive environment, bodies just disappear and we never find them. My land area has isopods and springtails, so it's possible that the bodies were consumed before I could find them...but four whole frogs, gone without a single trace, when I'm fussing about with the tank pretty much every day? It seems unlikely.

Sometimes in a bioactive environment, bodies just disappear and we never find them. My land area has isopods and springtails, so it's possible that the bodies were consumed before I could find them...but four whole frogs, gone without a single trace, when I'm fussing about with the tank pretty much every day? It seems unlikely.
I really hope they're just hiding somewhere, just an idea but do you have a camera you could try pointing at the tank overnight to see if any of them appear?

I really hope they're just hiding somewhere, just an idea but do you have a camera you could try pointing at the tank overnight to see if any of them appear?
Some of my friends suggested using a game cam! I don't think mounting a camera would be practical for various reasons. Interesting idea, though...

Some of my friends suggested using a game cam! I don't think mounting a camera would be practical for various reasons. Interesting idea, though...
that's an interesting idea- I never see my spotted raphael anymore- maybe I could leave the blue light on at night and put a camera in front of the tank. Would be nice to see it once, but not sure I want to watch through hours of recorded video to get to it LOL.

Most game cams are movement-triggered, so they only go off when something is moving. My trouble is that there's so much movement in my tank, with all the water movement, bubbles, dashing fish, and drips that I don't think it would even notice the frogs creeping around.

@MuddyWaters Love the new PFP. That's a serious bluegill! They don't get that big around here.

I had a vivid dream last night that I opened up the HOB filter and lo and behold, all four of my frogs were happily chilling out in there! Sadly, my tank doesn't have a Hang on Back filter, so no real help there. Later I had a very similar dream that I lifted up a broad leaf in the land area and all four frogs were huddled under it, acting like they were waking up from a nap. But again, no broad-leafed plants in the land area at the moment.

Perhaps my subconscious is trying to let me know that I'm picking up some extremely subtle clues that the frogs are still in there. Or perhaps my sleeping brain is indulging in some serious wishful thinking. I believe both can happen; time will tell which is right.

But enough about frogs for the moment. I need to do a quick video of the tank. It is looking rather wonderful, if I may say so, frogs or no frogs. Fish and plants looking bright and happy. Anybody want to see?

have you ever tried some smaller more colorful crabs in your paludarium???
these guys look particularly interesting...

have you ever tried some smaller more colorful crabs in your paludarium???
these guys look particularly interesting...
Interesting idea. I am trying to stay at least semi-true to the region, so vampire crabs, native to Java, are out...but you've got me thinking.

Thai Micro crabs lack the color, & are aquatic, but they seem cool, & wouldn't bother anyone...

they are sold out here, but I've seen them for sale from several sources...

Red Claw crabs should work...

Most reactions

Back