4 Gallon

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

the tank isnt going to be in direct sunlight but the sun light is going to hit the tank as the sun moves through the day if you understand and I am worried about algae... as there is only going to be 1 male betta in the tank would I me able to put a otto in to help or are there any snails that will help with the algae??

thanks any help would be very VERY usful... im such a novice even after a year

i'm not all that expereinced yet but from what i read snails eat vegitative matter. so algae would be on the menu also any live plants. i don't really suggest live plants in a 4 gal due to space, unless it is very small. in a tank that size i really wouldn't put anything in it. if you get a 10 gal (in the future) it might be a good idea to get a pleco (small kind- or common if you can trade it u when it gets to big at your local pet store), and 3 small cory cats. i personally like bronze and albino ones. they don't grow as big (in my experiences) as some of the other cories out there. even though they like to be in groups i have had many of cories (before i knew of the group thing) that lived fine on their own w/o any othe cories. i would suggest a snail of some kind. you can try shrimp but i don't have any experience w/ them but people say they can go w/ just about anything.

i hope i helped you

:D

i'm not all that expereinced yet but from what i read snails eat vegitative matter. so algae would be on the menu also any live plants. i don't really suggest live plants in a 4 gal due to space, unless it is very small. in a tank that size i really wouldn't put anything in it. if you get a 10 gal (in the future) it might be a good idea to get a pleco (small kind- or common if you can trade it u when it gets to big at your local pet store), and 3 small cory cats. i personally like bronze and albino ones. they don't grow as big (in my experiences) as some of the other cories out there. even though they like to be in groups i have had many of cories (before i knew of the group thing) that lived fine on their own w/o any othe cories. i would suggest a snail of some kind. you can try shrimp but i don't have any experience w/ them but people say they can go w/ just about anything.

i hope i helped you

Nevergone815, A small plec shouldn't be put in a ten gallon for any length of time. It is not good to recommend fish that are patently unsuitable for a small tank -especially when there are good small tank alternatives.
Some snails won't breed if kept singly, (apple) some need brackish to breed (zebra nerite) and these can be kept to eat algae without overrunning the tank.
Bronze & albino corydoras females can get up to four inches and the males to three inches if they are well kept. They do get stunted if conditions are not adequate and they don't behave the same when kept singly as they do as a group.
For a 4 gallon tank. IMO the only choices are a single Betta, possibly with a snail OR three or four male Endlers livebearers or Heterandria formosa which are tiny.
Big fish don't belong in little tanks.

could I put a single apple snail in with a male betta?... are they any good at eating algae?... do they hit alot? or they out all the time??

sorry about all the questions but I would prefere to get all the answers now instead of buying and then asking and finding out im wrong, if you understand.....

kiss kiss
godzuki

i hope i helped you

Nevergone815, A small plec shouldn't be put in a ten gallon for any length of time. It is not good to recommend fish that are patently unsuitable for a small tank -especially when there are good small tank alternatives.
Some snails won't breed if kept singly, (apple) some need brackish to breed (zebra nerite) and these can be kept to eat algae without overrunning the tank.
Bronze & albino corydoras females can get up to four inches and the males to three inches if they are well kept. They do get stunted if conditions are not adequate and they don't behave the same when kept singly as they do as a group.
For a 4 gallon tank. IMO the only choices are a single Betta, possibly with a snail OR three or four male Endlers livebearers or Heterandria formosa which are tiny.
Big fish don't belong in little tanks.

i don't really understand i have kept healthy plecs in 10 gal that lived a long healthy life, but anyways that isn't important. what is important is that everyone has different experiences with fish. for instance i know many people who have had a lot of success with male bettas and neon tetras. personally my experience is that neon tetras are too nippy, and frankly can't be kept with other fish in a 4 gal (sometimes a decent school is hard to maintain in a 10 gal w/ other fish) dam little nipping buggers.

and i don't think male endlers would be a good idea because of their coloration. the male (depending on temperment and hostility) can mistake them for a rival. and that isn't me talking its a whole lot of people talking about this on this site when i asked the same question.

and godzuki i wish i could help you out with the snail, i don't have experience with snails and the size of different species of snail. the main thing is that you research (which you're doing) and get ideas from other peoples' personal experiences. the general idea about male betas is that they need 2-3 gal for themselves. if you can find a tankmate that is suitable and can live (peacefully) in 1-2 gal by themselves than in my opinion it should be ok. from what i've seen an apple snail may be too big (by pics i've seen in research for your post) most people go by the 1" of fish = 1 gal of water, although

Here's a link to a pic of an apple snail-for size demonstration
http://www.junglephotos.com/amazon/amanima.../applesnail.jpg

Click on the name or picture and it will give you stats (i.e. size, living conditions) and general price of the snails and other Freshwater Invertebrates if you do decide to use them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1075

again i asked the same question a while back and i am just relaying what i was told. in a 4 gal i would just keep him by himself. if you do move up to a 10 gal you have many more options. all in all i decided to keep my male beta by himself in a 2 gal betta bowl and he is doing just fine.

I've had plecs approaching two feet long & 20 years old - I wouldn't put one in a 10g tank or recommend anyone else does.

When I wrote:-
"For a 4 gallon tank. IMO the only choices are a single Betta, possibly with a snail OR three or four male Endlers livebearers or Heterandria formosa which are tiny."

The OR is Betta OR the tiny fish - not the fish with a Betta. The tank is just too small.

I've got a betta at the moment in with cardinals, male guppies and an assortment of other tetras but they are in a 45US gallon corner tank - I wouldn't try this mix in a smaller tank.
I have one male crowntail that has to live alone - he shares his hex (55 litres = 15 us Gallons) with a few snails as he would kill any fish but my other bettas all live in communities ranging from 10 - 125g.

I had a betta in with 2 amano shrimps with no problems at all in a 20 litre. No issues with algae either. Plus the shrimps were great entertainment.

My Betta lives in a 12G hex with three Cherry Barbs and a two apple snails. It is planted and cycled. I do have a 5G but I would n't put my betta in there, I think they do better in bigger tanks. Mind you they are very "personality" fish - some live in 2G happily and are miserable in a bigger tank.

My snails eat the algae I think. well I don't have that much so I figure some one is!

I would keep Endlers in my 5 if I could find any but at the moment it is a hopspital tank for guppy fry.

Lucy

My Betta attacked amano shrimps, he would have killed them if I hadn't taken them out. :(

I always add some kind of plant. The only tank that doesn't have any live plant is the Moba Zaire fontosa tank.

Betta like plants. They don't seem to mind them being thickly planted either--mostly. Betta often like to rest on top of plants that grow near to the top. My ladies like hair algea (yuck!) and wrap up in it to sleep :lol: so I have let it grow at a controlled level. I have apples. They do get large--1.5-2". But I would think one golden apple or one of the exotic colors would work. They absolutely eat algea. My stock of Apples has increased so I have introduced them to the Betta tanks. None are full grown yet, but they are easily moved. They need a cover on their tank, as well as Betta do.

Fish need their personal space just like humans. If they are crowded together they get stressed. Even many shoaling fish need room to wander or to dart away and hide. They also relate to landmarks. Betta take their homes very seriously. The decor is their world, and you will be a big part of it. Don't worry, Betta are more than an interesting picture to look at or a possession to admire. Betta are a companion.

Most reactions

Back