Tank Set Up for Fry

The only disposition I had when breeding something, is a way to relocate. Without it. It seems counter nature to do that.

At some point I felt like giving burden. So I stopped. And let nature take it's course.

Culling... Implies even more dispositions.

And Honestly... I love Mutts... They are the... Best.
Mutts are definitely healthier. Line breeding gone bad has produced plenty of weak strains.

Well, Linda rinsed the tank and gave it a good alcohol bath followed by a severe rinsing. I then moved it to the enclosed porch where she filled it with water for a 24 hour water test. No leaks which is to be expected because it is new. We have tested each tank like this because a leak would be catastrophic in the dining room in its current form.

Linda then went shopping for substrate, gravel and sand. I knocked together a quick stand that is temporary but not an eyesore. Framed with hemlock and faced with ash I had laying about the shop. Still have to seal it. Maybe tonight.

Will set u and start cycling later this week, probably Wednesday.

Will set u and start cycling later this week, probably Wednesday.
If you take some filter media/ materials from an established aquarium, it will help speed up or reduce the need to cycle the new tank. Just add some of the old filter media to the new filter and pop a few fish in. Instant cycled tank. :)

If you take some filter media/ materials from an established aquarium, it will help speed up or reduce the need to cycle the new tank. Just add some of the old filter media to the new filter and pop a few fish in. Instant cycled tank. :)
Yes! I have extra sponge filters that are bubbling in two of our tanks as well as bags of material soaking in every tank, plus will transfer some of the gravel from the 20-gallon tank that currently houses Linda's babies.

I have found that trying to have livebearer fry in a tank with adults usually just gives the adults a really good source of live food. My preferred method is to have a 5 gallon tank set up with a breeder trap so the mom can't eat the fry. Put the Mom in until she "pops" then put her back in the community tank. Leave the fry in the small tank, bare bottom is easier to keep clean. The smaller tank keeps the fry and food in a more compact place so they begin to feed easier. After about a month the fry will be big enough to fend for themselves in a community tank. Baby brine shrimp is a must, freshly hatched is preferred but frozen will do. Good Luck.

The problem with that is the breeder trap. If it's one of those tiny boxes with a slit in the bottom for the fry to fall through, they are very stressful for the female.

The plan is to add two dividers to the tank and remove the males after a breeding period and the female after birthing.

My new Gold Sailfin Molly male female pair had offspring the day they entered my tank. Most were eaten but two survived since their birth on March 28. Petsmart will not take them off my hands. I will check with my lfs but I’m expecting them to decline.
Mom and dad. The fry.

IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0681.jpeg

We have a local chain that will take Molly and Guppy. They have several location within 40 miles or so and as long as Linda will deliver they will accept. She has also pawned some to a member or two at a somewhat local fish club. The club is her first choice.

The local chain is giving her a dozen Rosynose minnows for the batch currently growing. They will be an addition to the pond.

That’s great. I just joined a local fish club. I can’t wait for the next meeting. Hopefully someone will want my two fry. I am overstocked as it is.

Most reactions

Back