API Nitro-Absorb

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My well water has a nitrate level between 20-30 ppm determined by API liquid kit and a commercial water lab. I placed the nitro-absorb resin bag into my filter last Thursday and this morning the nitrate level in the tank fell to 5 ppm. I am impressed. I did not think the resin would be that effective. It is “rechargeable “ by soaking the resin bag in salt water. The salt releases nitrate from the resin.

My well water has a nitrate level between 20-30 ppm determined by API liquid kit and a commercial water lab. I placed the nitro-absorb resin bag into my filter last Thursday and this morning the nitrate level in the tank fell to 5 ppm. I am impressed. I did not think the resin would be that effective. It is “rechargeable “ by soaking the resin bag in salt water. The salt releases nitrate from the resin.
That is impressive. Sounds like the resin works like a water softener. How much water did you clear?

According to the safety data sheet, Nitra-Zorb contains zeolite so you'll need to remove the pouch if ever you need to medicate the fish or the zeolite will remove the med.

From their safety data sheet
nitrazorb.jpg

According to the safety data sheet, Nitra-Zorb contains zeolite so you'll need to remove the pouch if ever you need to medicate the fish or the zeolite will remove the med.

From their safety data sheet
View attachment 341583
Another mystery. Zeolite is a resin that attracts and binds to cations like ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate is an anion. I wonder how the product lowered the nitrate level? Of course one way is by binding up ammonia and nitrite there is no or little substrate to be converted into nitrate. However the nitrate level in my tank is exactly the same level
As my well water used to fill the tank. In addition the ammonia and nitrite levels in the tank were zero before I added the Nitro Absorb. I can only assume the product is somehow binding to nitrate that got into my tank with my well water.

Their website does say Nitra-Zorb absorbs ammonia and nitrite as well, it's in Fishfunn's link. That study says in the discussion section
"The results prove that Nitra-Zorb will not prevent the development of the biological filter, though it may cause it to either grow more slowly or to form a smaller colony, as evidenced by the slight rise in ammonia after the Nitra-Zorb was removed from the test aquariums".

When the ion exchange resin takes up nitrate it will exchange it for chloride since both nitrate and chloride are anions while sodium is a cation.
It doesn't say whether it's the zeolite or the resin which removes ammonia - I suspect it's the zeolite as that can be used on its own to remove ammonia; it's sold for that purpose.

Their website does say Nitra-Zorb absorbs ammonia and nitrite as well, it's in Fishfunn's link. That study says in the discussion section
"The results prove that Nitra-Zorb will not prevent the development of the biological filter, though it may cause it to either grow more slowly or to form a smaller colony, as evidenced by the slight rise in ammonia after the Nitra-Zorb was removed from the test aquariums".

When the ion exchange resin takes up nitrate it will exchange it for chloride since both nitrate and chloride are anions while sodium is a cation.
It doesn't say whether it's the zeolite or the resin which removes ammonia - I suspect it's the zeolite as that can be used on its own to remove ammonia; it's sold for that purpose.
According to their data sheet, it has zeolites in the mixture. API Nitra Zorb Safety Data Sheet.pdf

I found that (post #3) which is why I suspect it's zeolite which removes ammonia not the ion exchange resin :)

I found that (post #3) which is why I suspect it's zeolite which removes ammonia not the ion exchange resin :)
My tank was already cycled. I tried the product because my well water has a nitrate level of approximately 30 ppm. The product seems to work. Do you think it would be safe to use continuously. I know it needs to be recharged weekly. It seems like it was designed for tank start ups and not for my intended use.

My tank was already cycled. I tried the product because my well water has a nitrate level of approximately 30 ppm. The product seems to work. Do you think it would be safe to use continuously. I know it needs to be recharged weekly. It seems like it was designed for tank start ups and not for my intended use.
I use RO water and mix it with tap water to make soft water. Do you have an RO filter? That was the best upgrade to the hobby I ever did.

I use RO water and mix it with tap water to make soft water. Do you have an RO filter? That was the best upgrade to the hobby I ever did.
I use a python for water exchanges. Don’t think an RO system will work connected to a python.

I use a python for water exchanges. Don’t think an RO system will work connected to a python.
I use a Python to clean the tanks, but I use the RO water filter to make RO water that collects in a 30 gallon container. I will mix it with dechlorinated tap water (60/40). I have a submersible pump in the container that I connect a hose to for pumping water to my tanks.

Attachments

• 20240508_213252.jpg
    20240508_213252.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5
Out the of the box probably not with the supplied RO mini faucet, but you could fill some milk jugs starting a day or two before WC, if you don't want to lug heavy buckets around. Every gallon less of your well is less nitrate drama. The tool you bought today does sound like it solves your problem though.

Out the of the box probably not with the supplied RO mini faucet, but you could fill some milk jugs starting a day or two before WC, if you don't want to lug heavy buckets around. Every gallon less of your well is less nitrate drama. The tool you bought today does sound like it solves your problem though.
Yes, I dont have to lug any buckets around. I use a garden hose to put tap water into the 30 gallon container. My submersible pump is used to pump the water to the various tanks.

Most reactions

Back