3D printer

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Got a machine for me and my son. Just finished installing it and running one of the sample projects that came with it, just for fun.

Thinking I'll make a couple of hob filter buffers, maybe feeding rings, planters? I'm all giddy about this.

Got a machine for me and my son. Just finished installing it and running one of the sample projects that came with it, just for fun.

Thinking I'll make a couple of hob filter buffers, maybe feeding rings, planters? I'm all giddy about this.
Nice! I've always wanted to mess around with a 3d printer. Enjoy!

Be careful using 3D printed items in aquariums. Some of the plastics are not safe and can leach things into the water.

If you do add a 3D printed item to the aquarium, wash it with soapy water first then rinse well. Monitor the fish for the first 2 weeks after it has been added and if any of them start breathing heavily or acting nervous, remove the item and do a masive (75-90%) water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the aquarium.

Be careful using 3D printed items in aquariums. Some of the plastics are not safe and can leach things into the water.

If you do add a 3D printed item to the aquarium, wash it with soapy water first then rinse well. Monitor the fish for the first 2 weeks after it has been added and if any of them start breathing heavily or acting nervous, remove the item and do a masive (75-90%) water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the aquarium.
Thanks Colin, I'll keep this in mind. I've read a bit from others who have already made parts, nobody indicates using a specific type of filament, however a person did suggest to confirm that the filament was in fact safe for aquarium use.

You say that like it's a bad thing......
Exactly! My son and I had a very rudimentary introduction to the machines and the technology 3 or 4 years ago. At my workplace we've been talking forever about how to leverage this technology, with a couple of success stories. IMHO, this tech has advanced faster than computers and the internet itself, but it remains a mystery or a novelty to most. The machine I bought is now considered a solid entry level unit for novices, while a mere 2 years ago, when it launched, it was the top of the line available and cost 5 times what I paid now. Exciting times.

First runs. Not bad at all

Attachments

• IMG-20240104-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20240104-WA0018.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 15
I would have expected YOU to already be on your fourth or fifth one by now .
LOL! I never said that I won't end up with one. I just said that I haven't... As to things to play with I probably have enough with fish, the bird from Hades, 3 radio controlled vehicles and 6 computers running Windows MacOS and Linux. Oh, and then there are my web sites.

Last edited:
@outofwater I would be interested in the process when you start doing your own projects. I used to do machine tool CNC programming (computer Numerical Control...). Think of a form of robotics, but designed for cutting metal, and wonder if it is in any way similar.

I'd appreciate any input you can give as to how a project is setup/programmed.

@outofwater I would be interested in the process when you start doing your own projects. I used to do machine tool CNC programming (computer Numerical Control...). Think of a form of robotics, but designed for cutting metal, and wonder if it is in any way similar.

I'd appreciate any input you can give as to how a project is setup/programmed.
I'll be picking up filament this week, those test runs i posted were made with a sample spool that came with the unit.
As far as making my own projects, I'm a total noob. I found a couple of apps with ready-to-print projects, and I started working with tinkercad.

From what I've read so far, it's the most basic and best entry level tool to start learning design to svoid getting overwhelmed, and ensure one gets the basics right

The final output after the slicer ends up as gcode- so yes very similar

Most reactions

Back