Young bristlenose plecos fighting??

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been breeding bristlenose plecos for around 4 years now, and for the first time I've witnessed two of the babies fighting (they were each around an inch, probably from the same batch, probably ~3 months old). The only recent changes were that I topped off the water (didn't change it) a few days ago, and then a day later I turned the airstone back on (my dad had turned it off since it had been too loud) because the fish started hanging out on the glass (which they do if the O2 levels are low). Also, about 6 months ago I started to feed them more often. it's been 2 days since I turned on the airstone, and now for the first time ever I'm seeing my fish getting territorial, which is sort of weird since they're so young. Should I be worried? or will this fizzle out in a couple days? attached is a video of them fighting.

Even though they are young they maybe getting more territorial with age causing fights. What is the tank size and how many of them are in there?

Even though they are young they maybe getting more territorial with age causing fights. What is the tank size and how many of them are in there?
couldn't guess how many are in there, you can kinda see the density of fish in the video. each fish has maybe 3 square inches of ground space (not including the glass). the fish range from .5 inches to 1.5 inches not including the dad (~5 inches) and 3 other 2.5 inch fish that evaded the net last time I sold them. the tank is a 20 gallon breeder. What is confusing me is that this is the first time in 4 years I have seen a fight, which makes me think it is the tank conditions as opposed to the age of the fish

Looks a bit like playing as well
that actually makes a bit of sense, I forgot about this when I was making the post but yesterday I also saw one of the bigger ones doing loops around the perimeter of the tank for a couple minutes. also, the general vibe of the tank is a bit more active. maybe the extra oxygen is making them energetic?

It COULD be playing but it does look a little rough. The OP said that he couldnt guess how manny are in there but they each may get 3 square inches of space (thats guessing of course) and then their size is about 0.5-2 5 inches. It could just be really crowded and thwir a bit frustrated. (I could be wrong but this is just my view on the matter)
Agreed...almost like mating behavior...but these are juvies (?)

It COULD be playing but it does look a little rough. The OP said that he couldnt guess how manny are in there but they each may get 3 square inches of space (thats guessing of course) and then their size is about 0.5-2 5 inches. It could just be really crowded and thwir a bit frustrated. (I could be wrong but this is just my view on the matter)
here's a picture of the full tank. they're a little crowded on the right side since I just fed them.
Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.00.24 PM.png

It does look a tad crowded but not INSANELY overcrowded

Most reactions

Back