Yet Another Newbie

Bit.Fishy

Reaction score
hey all,yes its another newb :shifty:

im about to get into the fishkeeping hobby once again,after a couple of attempts a few years ago but thanks to BAD advice from lfs's,and lack of forums such as this one, it all went bad.

finally made my choice.. and im about to buy a Juwel Rio 180 aquarium setup, filter,heater,lighting,stand included
£290 for the lot from a local garden center..ive looked on the net and seen this exact setup for £500+ so i guess it pays
to shop around.

Anyway looking forward to learning more about the hobby.Ive been reading the forum for a few days now,lots of detailed advice on everything you could need to know :)

i may have the chance to get some matured filter media from a family friend,but probably not just yet... so my question is if i start my fishless cycle now from scratch would it be ok to add the mature media at a later date? my tank might cycle before i even get the media,but if not it might help speed the cycling up :)

Cheers :)

yes absolutely, if you do the fishless cycle then you will build up some of your bacteria colony, then if you throw in some mature media part way through the fishless cycle then it'll bump things along. obviously it depends where you are in the cycle when you add it but you may find it just cycles the tank immediately when you get the media. :good:

nice to see someone doing their research before wading in and buying fish so good for you. make sure you come back and keep us updated with your progress :good:

Yes, will be nice to follow along. Let us know how its going and don't forget you can pick up a lot of things reading other beginner's threads!

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back