Yet Another Bubbles Question

rrxx11rrxx11

Reaction score
hi,
my tank is 250 litres
i was wondering when looking at my tank wether the should be tiny bubbles should be 30%of the way down the tank.
i have a filter which sits on the inside of the tank and takes the water in from the bottom and sides and comes out the top.
when teh water comes out the top i have the choice of wether to have it slightly under the water or half and half.
what should i do to reduce the amount of bubbles as when you look at tank it looks like the is 10,000 tiny buddles!!!!!!
also.....
how do airstones work?
should i have one and move my filter outlet lower to stop the bubbles?
thankyou for any help
hannah

air stone go on the end of an air pump.. which ..umm.. pumps air? lol

as for the bubbles u could try reduce the outlet flow aslong as this wont prevent proper filterage for the stocking u have.
other than that u could try adding piping onto the end of your outlet and redirect it into the water, so it doesnt suck in air?

hmm... just properly read the last part of ur thread, i think it would be a good idea to get an air pump & stone and have the filter so it doesnt create bubbles.

Air stones and air pumps are necessary in most tanks. It really depends on the setup. If your fish aren't staying at the surface and gasping for air, then you probably don't need one. To cut down on the number of bubbles you can do a couple things. You can simply tie a knot in the air line. That doesn't work well but will reduce them some. The best way is to buy a splitter. It allows you to run numerous airlines off a single air pump. They also have adjustment valves on each line so you can close it completely or reduce it as needed. But if you are going to run the airstone, you may as well run it wide open. The more bubbles, the more oxygen in the water.

not sure an air stone is ever truly needed in a tank. its often more effective to allow your filter to disrupt the surface water, however if you have a narrow and deep tank, with a comparatively small surface area, the extra surface disruption may help. they do look good though and it is not that hard to make diffusers, allowing more oxygen exchange. not forgetting lots of fish love swimming through the air stream.

but as an oxygenater on their own they have little use.

Most reactions

Back