Yellow Labs Chasing

monkeyman

Moved On
Reaction score
Ive jus moved my 2 yellow labs 1 male, 1 female (about 2") to my new 80l (uk) tank (its almost 3ft long). Its all sweet for them. wee rocky hidy place and everything. They were in my 260l tank with no problems. Now i think the male has started chasing the female around a bit. I suppose its early days yet. they are only in there an hour! Is this in ANYWAY normal? :(

Yup, perfectly normal. These are grouping fish and are best kept this way - by keeping a number of them they end up being more active and all the fish end up too busy chasing each other for any one to get targeted. Even the mildest mbuna are tough to keep with only 2 of them in the tank. An 80l tank will be quite cramped for a group of these guys once they get some size to them though.

Hmmmm, thanks man. Will they grow much bigger than 2"? The Male will still chase the females too though? I was thinking of just getting 2 more females. So all in all a total of 4 fish? Is this a good or bad idea :huh:

Getting more fish can only be a good idea, though I don't know how you'd be able to sex them since they look the same - instead just get 2 or 3 more and don't worry about it - unless you get unlucky and end up buying all males the gender ratio isn't that important with yellow labs.

They have plenty of growing to do, at 2" they're still just juveniles. As they get bigger they get more aggressive, so now is the time to add more.

It just amazes me how people can go out and buy fish all WillieNillie with out reading up on them first....
You actually think labs only got 2 inches?
wow...
:grr:
I know our site doesnt have a database, sometimes wish it did but until then try saving this ::

www.cichlid-forum.com
go to PROFILES on the left hand side

and looking at it frequently to learn more, great ideas for Books in there too

It just amazes me how people can go out and buy fish all WillieNillie with out reading up on them first....
wow...
I know our site doesnt have a database, sometimes wish it did but until then try saving this ::

www.cichlid-forum.com

Sorry about that cheeky fella! I made the mistake of listening to the guy that sold me the fish. If you read ANY of my post you will see that i have asked sufficent questions about these particular fish. Jus thinking, if you went to buy a car and the salesman told you the cylinders where 10" long, what reason would you have to not believe him?

wow...

www.cichlid-forum.com

Jus to add, i ESPECIALLY went and spent over £130 of my hard earned UK pounds TO HOUSE THESE FISH ONLY. WILLIE NILLIE? I THINK NOT MY FRIEND. HOW INSULTING. :angry:

wow...

www.cichlid-forum.com

Oh, and by the way. I suppose you were a cichlid EXPERT 1 week after becoming interested? £130 puounds sterling thats 230.089 USD at todays currency conversion.

Most reactions

Back