Yellow/brown Holes On Leaves?

sangah10

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm can't remember what the name of the plant was called but leaves are constantly coming up. I've placed some kind of nutrients sphere under it thats brown and it supposedly supplies the substrate with new health for the plant.

When I got my plant at the store the leaves were nice and green but a few days after getting them I noticed that they started to develop small yellow spots randomly on the leaves. Is this what they call burning? As in I'm leaving my lighting on too much or the lightning is too much?

I bought my lighting used and its one of those ones where its silver and has a plastic stand that you can place OVERHEAD of the tank (no lid).

Can't remember the name of the plant but the new leaves are a light red then they develop into the nice green like the other leaves.

also got some other random questions about plants:
are liquid off the shelf fertilizers worth it? do they work?
i dont feel like setting up a CO2 system, there isnt any other way to add co2?
:rolleyes:
hope you can help ;D

I'm can't remember what the name of the plant was called but leaves are constantly coming up. I've placed some kind of nutrients sphere under it thats brown and it supposedly supplies the substrate with new health for the plant.

When I got my plant at the store the leaves were nice and green but a few days after getting them I noticed that they started to develop small yellow holes randomly on the leaves. Is this what they call burning? As in I'm leaving my lighting on too much or the lightning is too much?

I bought my lighting used and its one of those ones where its silver and has a plastic stand that you can place OVERHEAD of the tank (no lid).

Can't remember the name of the plant but the new leaves are a light red then they develop into the nice green like the other leaves.

also got some other random questions about plants:
are liquid off the shelf fertilizers worth it? do they work?
i dont feel like setting up a CO2 system, there isnt any other way to add co2?
rolleyes.gif

hope you can help ;D

Hi Sangah,

Plantscould be getting holes in the leaves for a number of reasons, this could be nutrition deficiency, light deficiency or damage incurred by tank inhabitants eating them. It could also be that they are not 'true' aquatic plants as some LFS will sell marsh plants as aquarium plants which slowly rot when completely submerged.

Need a little more info on the tank to be sure, what size tank? what type of lighting (how many watts)?, what inhabitants do you have? What type of fertilization are you using and how much how often?

You can get liquid C02 (Flourish Excel is an excellent example) but depending on tank size and lighting pressurised injection of C02 is a better option.

This link will show examples of common issues with plants and the aproximate remedy

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=8&chapter=0

Hope this helps a little.

Mark

my apologies, they actually arent holes, they're just spots and i've fixed that now.

and im pretty sure this is an aquatic plant, i read about it somewhere on aquahobby but now i cant find it. it has the word 'rose' or 'rosae' or something in it at the lfs. cant remember.

the tank is a 33G and holds 3 cories, 1 angel, a plego and 4 black skirt tetra. i'll have to see if i can find the wattage of the lighting tomorrow but i think its quite high as the tank is really bright.

I currently use no type of fertilizer except the nutrient spheres that are placed in the substrate i mentioned earlier. i'll have to get back to you on that tomorrow about the name and what are in them.

appreciate your help Mark!

so the nutrients spheres i was talking about are called JBL PROFLORA 7 Kugeln. Lol i think its in another language but theres english also

"
-Root nutrients for aquatic plants
- revitalizes depleted substrate
- specially produced clay balls, loaded with nutrients
- gives the ground new storage capacity for nutrients
- provides a specific target area supply of nutrients for solitary plants with high nutrient consumption, ensuring healthy hroth from the start
- easy to apply in established aquariums
"

Most reactions

Back