YEARS AGO

quintessential

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When I kept fish back in the seventies we used something called MALACHITE GREEN as a general cure all. If you got the dose correct it worked quite well.

Does it still get used ? or indeed has anybody out there heard of it ?

Yes, it is still used quite extensively in fish medications.

Look at the ingrediants on some common anti bacterial/fungal fish treatments and malachite green will probably be used to some portion of the treatment. :)

Using it in my tank right now to treat ick.
Mardel Maracide.

pretty much any anti fungal, parasitic med contains malachinte green along with formalin now a days...helps to take the guesswork out of exactly how much you are dosing (don't have to figure out ppm, etc) - i have read that malachite green can be compared to chemoteraphy for humans, and if not dosed correctly could be disasterous :blink:

I used this medication (MALACHITE GREEN) back in the seventies as an anti fungal remedy for killifish eggs. Although you can still get hold of it it seems pretty scarce.

Malachite green is highly effective, however there is a problem with it. Malachite green is a carcinigen thats manufactured in power form, so, when you are working with it you end up with a big cloud of carcinigen.

BigC said:
I used this medication (MALACHITE GREEN) back in the seventies as an anti fungal remedy for killifish eggs. Although you can still get hold of it it seems pretty scarce.
It's not really that scarce just sold under different names.
Almost all the ick cures are malachite green such as madel maracide and most of the stuff from aquairum pharmaceuticals and jungle labs.

Sky042 said:
BigC said:
Almost all the ick cures are malachite green such as madel maracide and most of the stuff from aquairum pharmaceuticals and jungle labs.
well they are PART malachite green....unfortunately i would hesitate to use any of those meds to keep eggs from fungus'ing, since they contain OTHER additives which may be harmful (such as formalin)

abstract said:
Sky042 said:
BigC said:
well they are PART malachite green....unfortunately i would hesitate to use any of those meds to keep eggs from fungus'ing, since they contain OTHER additives which may be harmful (such as formalin)
the Malachite green I have sitting here only lists malachite green and chitosan.

Most reactions

Back