Wtf

mrapoc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Oneof my zebra danios is now missing his tail and i dont know why. i have two freshwater dwarf prawns that have pincers but i would have thought they were too small to do any damage. The shop assured me they were safe after keeping them with small tetras with no casulties. i have seen the shrimp eating flake so i assumed thy were'nt carnivorous. i will enclose a picture later when they come out of hiding

they do raise their pincers when a fish comes too near but i thought this was in defence. they have been in my tank for a month now and this is the first case. could it be anything else?

Its more than likely the prawn took a swipe at the fish.
A pic of the prawn and a tank shot would be nice.

Its more than likely the prawn took a swipe at the fish.
A pic of the prawn and a tank shot would be nice.

a pic of the prawn is going to prove hard as atm i have a lot of hard algae on the front and they hide under the bogwood / in decor (theres 2)

i have noticed that the danios readily chase eachother round the tank (including the other fish!) - would they be able to nip off the whole tail up to the stump (only the transparent bit is gone)

If they get a good nip at them then yes.

how many danios have you got?
if you have a low number this could be the cause to them chasing the other fish around and causing trouble. :/

ive got 4 danios in total but i now have a reasonably good pic of one of the prawns.

cb7f72a3.jpg

49cccfd9.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

I would say it is big enough to inflict the damage. The danio will heal but be prepared for a loss or two as it might catch one and eat it.

ill keep an eye on the numbers very closely - if i spot any more casulties ill probably take them back

btw a neon tetra went missing while i was away last week and ive found the carcass today - i have no idea whether it died of natural causes then got stripped by the shrimps or...the worst case scenario

i have noticed the shrimp readily eat flake so if i put in enough where they hide hopefully they will be too full to inflict damage

Most reactions

Back