wrasse

This is what i have discovered about a Christmas Wrasse.

CHRISTMAS WRASSE · `awela
Thalassoma trilobatum (Lacepede, 1801)
These fast-moving wrasses inhabit shallow reefs, often in the surge zone, where they feed mostly on crabs and molluscs. Terminal males have bright ladderlike blue-green markings on a reddish body. The brown and green initial phase adults (both sexes) are smaller and drab by comparison. At night these fish sometimes sleep in tide pools just above the water line where they can be discovered by flashlight. Juveniles occur in tide pools. The species name means "three lobes." At least ten Hawaiian names have been applied to this wrasse, some to designate different growth stages. To about 12 in. This is a common species throughout the Indo-Pacific. Photos: Hanauma Bay, O`ahu. 3-5 ft.

IMO NOt a fish for a reef tank :*) Fish only tank would be ok though... you will need a large tank though :*)

I know the one, I know it as a moon wrasse though. definatly not for a reef tank. there used to be one in the display tank at the shop I work in. it was fine with the softies and the other fish but would eat shrimps and hermits so it had to come out.

ste :)

thanks for the advice my dad recently purchased a reef tank and has a christmas wrasse in the tank it ate our common cleaner shrimp and is agressive against our yellow wrasse

Sounds like familiar behaviour for a Moon wrasse :*) Definately not reef safe :sad:

Most reactions

Back