Worried about the cost of fish?

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
We're all becoming more and more aware that international shipping costs are skyrocketing, and the cost of these little fish we love is going up as a result. If you are a UK member dealing with cost increases, you know that the worst is yet to come for our hobby.
Here's a story. A few months ago, I bought a bunch of Bororas maculatus, a close relative of the chili rasbora. My group was big, so I divided it in 2 for QT. My QT tanks basically the same as regular tanks, but with only new arrivals in them.
They looked good, so I left them in those set ups, until I needed some space and didn't want 2 tanks tied down for one species.
I just moved them. My numbers are up by about 20%, with lots of young fish added, by their parents, to my group.
The trick? Conditions were right - a softwater fish in soft water. The temp was 23, in their range though on the lower end of it. I always feed small fish with fine foods, so the babies had something to grow with. And in no circumstance will I combine 2 species in a planted QT or breeding tank.

So, are you concerned about spending a lot to have a good shoal of a social species? Buy a few and make a shoal! I've started that process with 5 pygmy Corys I found in a shop, with beckford's pencilfish and with norman's lampeyes. All have bred like this in the past. It isn't just the same old livebearers we can enjoy breeding. Egg layers can work too.

That's how I (accidentally) bred my pygmy cories too. I bought one because he was alone in store, and I figured he could live with my otos, and the store assured me they would be ordering more ASAP. But then they couldn't get more. For months. I finally managed to get another six, planning to get more and bump their total number to 12 as soon as I could, since seven didn't seem to be enough for such a social nano fish. But I couldn't get more, for several months. Then doing a water change and gravel vac one day, a tiny baby cory emerged from some plants I'd disturbed! And another! I was so excited, I couldn't believe it!

Tank had a lot of botanicals breaking down in there, and I fed tiny foods too, so they were raising themselves in the tank. They bumped their own school numbers. Before long, tank was overstocked with pygmy cories, and I went from seven, to 30 odd, and I was selling (or giving away) groups of them to other hobbyists. Still do. Only buy/trade a few now and then for some fresh blood in the mix.

Worried about the cost of fish?​

Well, it seems that everything has become more expensive these days. Even the prices of fish from what I've seen at stores. But you know that all hobbies will cost money...

To be honest I found the cost of the fish to be the least expense associated with raising fish. Although I stick to the more easily available ones and don't buy fish often. I try to keep the fish for its life once I get one and absolutely hate adding fish to an established tank, I find it frequently upsets the established order. Food, equipment, substrate, have cost me far more than the fish.

To be honest I found the cost of the fish to be the least expense associated with raising fish. Although I stick to the more easily available ones and don't buy fish often. I try to keep the fish for its life once I get one and absolutely hate adding fish to an established tank, I find it frequently upsets the established order. Food, equipment, substrate, have cost me far more than the fish.
I don't even want to think about what I've spent on my new tank and I haven't put a single fish in it yet.

All comments are true, but I am hoping aquarists will begin to look at breeding fish, rather than just consuming!

Breeding fish requires consumers too. What do you do with all the fish you have bred. I had up to 8 tanks going to house all the Angels I bred. I couldn't get rid of more than one batch every so often. It has taken a long time to get the number of tanks back down to two display tanks. The majority went to the LFSs until they didn't want any more.

I will say that I got the most fun out of breeding some of my fish, but it is a fair bit of additional work. I am hoping to retire soon at which time I may start again.

The one big positive aspect of breeding your own fish is you get to keep all the exceptional ones. It is also a problem because you have to house them.

Most reactions

Back