Worm looking things in water when completing water change

curtispoppy

Reaction score
C873D73E-599B-4991-9A95-B058C8556C86.jpeg

I have just gone a water change in my planted tropical aquarium (water brown due to bogwood) and I have noticed lots of wiggly white worm looking things! Anyone know what these are?

Probably detritus worms that got disturbed when you cleaned the substrate. They are harmless and found in most aquariums. If they start to swarm in the water and on the glass, then there is a problem with the water quality and you should check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, and do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate.

Thank you, we have never seen them before. We have a gravel vacuum so we clean the gravel every water change which we do every 2 weeks. Have never spotted them on the glass or anything.

Welcome to TFF

Overfeeding is another issue that will cause a proliferation of detritus worms

won't fish eat these worms, when they come out of the substrate??? looks like live foods to me...

Hello curtis. This looks like a form of freshwater worm called "Planaria". If you're an aggressive changer of the tank water, then you have a healthy tank, which means you have a tank full of healthy fish. These worms are typically a snack for fish. I wouldn't fret over them. Again, provided you keep a healthy tank.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello curtis. This looks like a form of freshwater worm called "Planaria". If you're an aggressive changer of the tank water, then you have a healthy tank, which means you have a tank full of healthy fish. These worms are typically a snack for fish. I wouldn't fret over them. Again, provided you keep a healthy tank.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Definitely not planaria, which actually can be detrimental in an aquarium, depending on the inhabitants

Definitely not planaria, which actually can be detrimental in an aquarium, depending on the inhabitants

Hello. There are several different species of Planaria. If you keep aquatic plants, you're going to have some type of this worm. It only takes one to establish a breeding colony. The worm can be introduced through filter media, driftwood or other decorations you put into the fish tank. The bottom line is if you keep a clean tank and a clean tank gets lots and lots of large weekly water changes, you're going to have a healthy fish. And, the chances of a healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected by some parasite in the tank are very remote.

10 Tanks (now 11)

Most reactions

Back