Work Tank advice

Ksven

Reaction score
16973E16-FC4A-40F1-BC06-04781DB8A5AC.jpeg
I work in a group home that has a 55 gal tank. I was out for a year and came back to an awful dirty mess so I’ve been keeping up, water changes, cleaning, treatments. I’m testing the water Sunday since we got our new api kit at home. I know some of these fish are too big for this tank and I’m currently looking to rehome the, but I need approval from management. Any recommendations for what can stay and go? I want the pleco, both goldfish and large catfish out for sure. Also don’t mind the lack of water I’m in the middle of a change. Also also I know it’s kind of hard to judge since I haven’t got the test done yet. Just trying to get some ground when I do approach management.
2972476D-AFE5-4F75-B36F-A91C3B5BFE12.jpeg
9BED32A4-CC06-429D-94E1-C74D2539ACCF.jpeg
58D32B2C-F18C-4806-B1D5-3B4C4E0EB0C8.jpeg
9D471018-F079-4DAB-AB50-653B8B77B6AD.jpeg
1D6B51F8-6DB1-455D-84A9-1B0782770F4A.jpeg

Also looking for good stocking options. I’d love to keep the parrot as it’s personality is amazing and it’s a huge hit here with the guys

Who lives at the home, old people or young people?
I ask because old people in homes usually like bright coloured fish that are big and easy to see, like the goldfish and cichlid. If you replace the big colourful fish with small fish that are not as colourful, the fish won't be as noticeable to those with impaired vision.

Personally I would get rid of the cichlid and silver shark and add a couple more fantail goldfish but get different colours, (black & white, orange and black, orange and white, calico). Keep the temperature around 24C and it will be fine for the fantails and the pleco.

If the goldfish stay then they will need some live plants to chew on. Floating plants like Duckweed are easy to grow outdoors in plastic tubs and can be added to the tank each week. Other plants like Ambulia and Hygrophila polysperma have soft leaves and grow rapidly so the fish can eat them too.

The rainbow shark and pleco need some driftwood in the tank to graze on and help with their digestion.

If you want to keep the cichlid then watch the goldfish because they could get bashed.

Okay so the pleco is okay in the 55 gal? I was worried about that. The guys range in age from 30-85 :p but the younger ones pay more attention. I do want the goldfish out to a different tank so we can add more tropical fish in.

Hi,Ksven.

Work tanks are tricky, because you aren't around to immediately see problems. I take care of a 150g for a dentist office, and sometimes it gives me FITS! For a work tank, you basically want three things: 1. Low maintenance, which means seriously beefed-up filtration and low stocking density; 2. Compatible, hardy, peaceful species, because they're low maintenance! and 3. Colorful, active, interesting species, because that's the whole point.

For #1 and 2, I think you're on the right track. In my experience, a common pleco doesn't belong in a 55 gallon tank. Been there, done that! ha ha ha They produce a HUGE amount of bioload (which means you can't keep as many fish), aren't really very good algae eaters once they get this big, and they don't do much and aren't that interesting. If you want some bottom feeders that work in a 55, I recommend panda garra, yoyo loach, dwarf chain loach, or most cory catfish (I'm especially partial to a big school of panda cories). All of those are hardy, active, peaceful critters that are fun to watch.

I would agree that the goldfish should go elsewhere, too. The bala shark is going to outgrow a 55, big time! They get enormous! And I'd keep an eye on the rainbow shark, too. I've kept red-tailed black sharks in a 55, and eventually they turn into tyrants and terrorize everyone else in the tank. I don't know anything about parrots, so can't advise what's compatible with them. Remember, you're going to want compatible, peaceful, low-maintenance species.

Any chance management would let you remodel and get rid of the clown puke gravel? ha ha ha That's just my bias coming through--I like more natural looking tanks. It takes all kinds, I guess. :)

I like pearl, moonlight, or snakeskin gouramis in a 55. Angel fish can be nice, too, but they can get mean sometimes. Any of the hardier, peaceful schooling fish are good too; I'm partial to harlequin rasboras, pantazona barbs (which look like tiger barbs but aren't complete jerks), any of the peaceful tetras, rainbowfish (which need hard water) and gold barbs.

Check out this website for a great start of what works and how many you can get. Seriouslyfish.com is my go-to resource for info about compatibility and needs of different species.

If you're interested, here's my 55. It is a home tank, not a work tank. Work tanks have their own challenges. Good luck!

That was going to be my next question. I HATE neon gravel. I too love natural tanks. I have a poad of driftwood we’ve scavenged and treated for our home tanks that I do want to bring in as someone mentioned above. I don’t know where to begin though with a gravel change. I’m sure they’d let me switch it out. That’s one thing that’s not a big hit here haha.

I couldn’t get a picture of the catfish but he’s also rather large. I do have someone willing to take that and the pleco. Gouramis would be a nice addition I think! I really just hate seeing these big guys stuffed in this tank breaks my heart ha. Thank you I’ll check that out!

I second whats been said above, just to mention if you go down the Corydoras route love these fish they are best with sand not gravel though.. being said why not take some pictures of your tanks or even show off a few other Natural looking tanks and see if that cant sway Management

I also would think costs are at the top of there mind, throwing in a few freebies or working on it in your own time may also help sway it.

Some Angels will work a treat in that tank they also from experience like to follow people around as they look in and walk around the tank could be a nice addition if the viewers like a little interaction, they also look good to me :)

Good news! I got the all go to do a tank makeover! Finding homes for some of the big guys (pleco is going to a 70 at my home, bala is most likely joining the catfish at the local store in a freshwater display, and the Goldie’s are also coming home for my 5 y/o step son) then slowly switching over gravel, stocking up on more size appropriate inhabitants and getting rid of all that corny decor ☺️

I would leave the colourful gravel because it is just that, colourful. People like colour in an aquarium and if you put small dull coloured fish in the tank, they will say it looks ugly. And yes I know most people here hate coloured gravel because it is not natural. But in a home, people need cheering up and bright colours help do that. The same deal with the ornaments. Try to use what you have and add suitably sized fishes to live in the tank.

That's great news. Colin has a point about the gravel and decor, but I prefer the color to come from fish and plants, not the gravel and other hardscape. The reason I like dark substrate, driftwood, and rocks is that such natural decor brings out the colors of the fish by contrast. A tank that's TOO busy is just stressful to look at, and the beautiful fish can sort of get lost in the clutter. Thus my distaste for clown puke gravel etc. It's all a matter of personal taste.

That said, I don't think anyone is talking about "small, dull colored fish"! We're just talking about fish that match the size of the tank. Big fish (common plecos, bala sharks, goldfish) just won't be happy and healthy in a medium-sized tank.

Question for Ksven: What do you mean by "slowly switching over gravel"? Wouldn't it be easier just to tear the thing down and rebuild? I'm just curious what you have in mind.

Good luck!
Thomas

Most reactions

Back