Wood? Where From?

Dav

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello guys and girls, this is going to be a easy simple question but I'm pretty stuck I see lots of tanks with some really good bits of wood in them, where on earth do you get it from. Is it from LFS or do you go out and find it? :look: sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm interested to know. Is there a web based shop you buy from?

i buy from fish stores and also ebay. ive wondered too if you can use wood you find laying around...

Hi. You can find wood such as Bogwood @ your LFS and online. You can even find it on Amazon.
smile.gif

I got the piece in my tank from seapets which is quite a large chain fish store where I live. P@H do it occasionally too but most LFS should too. As has been said, online is always good too but sometimes delivery can cost a lot for heavy bits of wood.

I get all mine from LFS because I like to check out the piece of wood first hand. It's my understanding that you just get a random piece if you buy online. I like to check out the shape though!

But I just spent $90 on two large pieces of driftwood. :-( I don't mind spending the big bucks on filter equipment or the like. But decorations?? I feel a little gutted. :sad:

Lake/beach, all what you need to know is how to clean it properly

Thanks for all the replys guys LFS seems to be the place,

@delloy have you got a guide on the correct cleaning of wood or care to write one? If there is not already one I think it could be beneficial for the site :good:

I get mine from the beach and sit it in a bucket of hot water with an airstone after a good scrubbing, changing the water everyday for a week. Never had any problems before :D Find some really nice pieces too!! Big, small, simple and funny shapes!!

Laura x

@delloy have you got a guide on the correct cleaning of wood or care to write one? If there is not already one I think it could be beneficial for the site :good:

pour hot water from the kettle, soak it for a few weeks in a bucket, pour hot water from the kettle again, chuck into the tank, scrub if needed. job done.

its a very commonly asked question, the search tool on the site is your best friend ;)

pour hot water from the kettle, soak it for a few weeks in a bucket, pour hot water from the kettle again, chuck into the tank, scrub if needed. job done.

its a very commonly asked question, the search tool on the site is your best friend ;)
Common it maybe and search I did but the topics that I found where unanswered or vaguely answered, pretty much like the answer you give.
I have searched the net and no one says soak for a few weeks, I will use the guides I have try them out and post results for others to see and use,

Thanks all comments appreciated :good:

There was a topic on here not so long ago about someone finding a large piece of wood and cleaning it for there tank.
Nice info on cleaning it too, can't for life of me find the topic though, must be around the 4th page though if u want to try find it.

I found mine at the lake! :) but if you do that you have to clean it and waterlog it really well...i boiled mine:)

There was a topic on here not so long ago about someone finding a large piece of wood and cleaning it for there tank.
Nice info on cleaning it too, can't for life of me find the topic though, must be around the 4th page though if u want to try find it.

Been looking for the topic but can not find it will have a good look after work and see if I can find it :good:

I found mine at the lake! :) but if you do that you have to clean it and waterlog it really well...i boiled mine:)

Thanks for the reply I'm going to look into this need to go on a wood hunt :lol:

HI,you definatly can use wood you find in parks and beaches or lakes even so long as they are not from polluted water.Even if they look pretty clean make sure you thouroughly clean with boiling water and check for insects.Also dry wood will keep floating unless you weigh down with heavy rocks and stones so make sure you soak your peice of wood untill it is completly water logged !!! happy fish keeping,kind regards-Rebaka

Most reactions

Back