wins & losses with the "new style" digital electric heaters...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Likes...
tells me the temp of the tank digitally, in easy to read format...
supposed to control within 1 degree
larger wattage for bigger tanks...

dislikes...
reliability, sometimes they work right, then quit working properly for a while, then start working again... I've had to replace 2 so far, in the last year, since I started my tanks up again...

that sticky stuff that is suppose to hold the controller... I have found some that will take a screw, or a tie... but I've had several that keep falling off where they mount, a couple fall off from the controller, which was placed on at the factory... I had one fall off into a tank last night, and the controllers are not waterproof... it did not shock the fish, or blow an external fuse... but I need to start buying only the ones that will take a screw, or start taping the the cord to help hold them in place... I have had to buy the refill kits to those "command" wall hooks, the sticky stuff is about the same as what is on the heater controls...

the old "light bulb in a test tube" style always worked reliably, but were often difficult to precisely control the temperature, & required a functioning thermometer on the tanks... but clipping on the top edge of the tanks, I never had one fall into a tank

anyone had issues with these new style heaters???

i made my own digital heater controller back in 92. it controls two of the glass type heaters turned wide open and the controller turns them on and off. it doesn't vary but a half deg. it's an op-amp circuit and thermistor.

Which ones have you used?

I've used two different brands. Both have digital displays that are on the main power cable and hang away from the opening of the tank. I think I've only had one out of five I purchased just stop working on me.

I like the one I use for my 55 gallon better because it senses when the water is too low and turns the heater off, and beeps at you. The digital display is very large on this brand too. And, there's a protective plastic cover over the heat element --> 200W Submersible Fresh & Saltwater Heater for Fish Tank with External Temperature Smart LED Display Controller

The other brand also turns off the heater when water is too low but only shows an error on the display, they don't beep and the digital display isn't as big as the other one --> Small Submersible Aquarium Heater with External Temperature Controller, LED Display
*The heat element is made of glass and doesn't have any plastic protection around it. I've acutally broken on by hitting it on a hard floor.

Mine have been mostly...

SZELAM, & AQQA brands

& I've had 3 go bad out of 8 in the last year... I like the control panel better on the 1st brand, but it only has the sticky, that keeps failing... if it fell off my wall. fine, but when, when the factory puts the stick on the controller & that's what fails, it doesn't make me very happy... not sure if the plastic is oily, or what, I even wiped them down with alcohol wipes, & they still keep coming off, & when that is the only way of attachment???

i made my own digital heater controller back in 92. it controls two of the glass type heaters turned wide open and the controller turns them on and off. it doesn't vary but a half deg. it's an op-amp circuit and thermistor.
I wouldnt set the heat to "wide open". If the controller fails in the on position, your fish could get cooked. Best to set the heater just a few degrees above where you want the temperature of the water and then set the controller to desired water temperature.

Last edited:
I have a couple of these coming right now... I have a tank that hasn't got a working heater, & a few I'm setting up... I like the hook loop on the top of the controller ( I'll run a screw through that to securely mount it )... I prefer to mount those higher so it's easier for me to see... ( not directly over the tanks, but mounted high, I had one "pin ball" through & around the other cords, & bounce into a tank... no more sticky controllers for me... I guess from that standpoint, it's a good thing they don't last long right now... it gives me a chance to see what I like best... but will admit, it's turning out to be a much bigger expense that I expected

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back