Will They Be Ok?

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I may have to go way for 6 weeks leaving my fish at the mercy of a flatmate who isn't really a "fish person".They will be fed and I may get him to do water changes by pouring water into a bucket with a jug but there is no way he can or will siphon and clean gravel.Two of my tanks have large plecs and I normally vaccum gravel and clean filter every week on account of the poo.
If I do a big70% water change before I go and on return will they be OK? One plec tank has all my cichlids and the other beacons, res tail shark and gourami.

When I went to Maidenhead Aquatics on Sunday, they were offereing a "holiday service." Given your prolonged absence, this might be an option for you.

I have left fish for that long with housemate, but it is painful to say the least.

For best results, I put the food into individual zip-lock bags, so there is only one per day. The rest of the food should be hidden. The amount of food in the bags is about 1/2 of what I usually feed. Prior to leaving, I do 30% water change and clean the filter every day for the last 5 days. I also make sure to feed the fish very well for 2-3 weeks before leaving and lower feeding once I start the pre-departure clean-up. Many tropical fish can easily survive without food for 2 weeks and can survive on lower feeding for a few months.

When I went to Maidenhead Aquatics on Sunday, they were offereing a "holiday service." Given your prolonged absence, this might be an option for you.

Good idea. I have seen plenty of "Fish on Holiday" signs at Maidenhead.

I have left my fish for someone else to look after, but that was for only 2 weeks.

I have left my fish for someone else to look after, but that was for only 2 weeks.
There is no Maidenhead where I live and I don't drive. What is a Holiday Service anyway -surely they don;t go to your home and feed them every day like cat sitters?

There is no Maidenhead where I live and I don't drive. What is a Holiday Service anyway -surely they don;t go to your home and feed them every day like cat sitters? I have 7 tanks plus axolotl and turtles.

There is no Maidenhead where I live and I don't drive. What is a Holiday Service anyway -surely they don;t go to your home and feed them every day like cat sitters?

There is no Maidenhead where I live and I don't drive. What is a Holiday Service anyway -surely they don;t go to your home and feed them every day like cat sitters? I have 7 tanks plus axolotl and turtles.

No, you take your fish there and they look after them at the shop.

Though there are some "baby sitting" services too.
I think these people come round, feed the fish, do a clean etc. Maybe you could get away with them visiting say once a week.

I have seen an add on ac tonight someone offering to clean tanks etc in Kent area not sure they could help!

Found ad
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_196872.php

Hmm, taking your fish to a LFS for keeping? What about your cycle? After a few days your bacteria start to die off, and after 6 weeks they would all be dead leaving you with a fish-in cycling situation. Bad idea IMO.

Hmm, taking your fish to a LFS for keeping? What about your cycle? After a few days your bacteria start to die off, and after 6 weeks they would all be dead leaving you with a fish-in cycling situation. Bad idea IMO.
Goog point -anywa I can't really transport SIX TANKS full of fish to MA with no transport. Besides where would they keep them? They are a mixed bunch -cichlids, livebearers, assorted plecs and synos, paradise fish, gourami, goldfish.If they put them all in one tank there will be a massacre :no:
Feed ing is not a problem as he will feed daily and will have training and written instructions as to who eats what.My question was - will they be ok without grAvel vac for 6 weeks if he just changes water with a jug from the top?

Most reactions

Back