Will Red Tail Shark Get On With 3 Spot Gourami?

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have been asked to rehome a re tail shark and don't know much about them. The only place he can go is
1. Cichlid tank with jewels sex cons, but they will probably kill him
2. Almost empty tank with large male gourami,actually a 3 spot but orange red in colour. Gourami is a real bully who bullied other gourami (nor sure if they died of stress but they were old, probably stress finished off old gourami). Also tried to kill 4 paradise fish I added in error, had to remove them after 15 mins.

Willl shark attack gourami or vice versa or will they be OK?
If they fight I have no other spare tank to separate them.

I have been asked to rehome a re tail shark and don't know much about them. The only place he can go is
1. Cichlid tank with jewels severum cons, but they will probably kill him
2. Almost empty tank with large male gourami,actually a 3 spot but orange red in colour. Gourami is a real bully who bullied other gourami (nor sure if they died of stress but they were old, probably stress finished off old gourami). Also tried to kill 4 paradise fish I added in error, had to remove them after 15 mins.

Willl shark attack gourami or vice versa or will they be OK?
If they fight I have no other spare tank to separate them.
Please advise me as this shark needs a home urgently but I don;t want to adopt a problem fish

I`ve had a red tail shark in with 2 gouramis for about three months now and no problems at all in fact the shark is probably one of best behaved fish in the tank. does your tank have any hiding places, caves etc as mine likes to go in them every now and then.

RTBS should be ok in either tank, I have a particularly aggressive rtbs (some can be) I had him/her in with convicts and texas cichlids, now just have it with the texas, so cons & jewels should be ok if you get problems with the shark and the gourami :good:

RTBS's are great with anything that doesnt look like them.

Mine is in a 180L tank with 2 dwarf gourami and a fair few barbs and he is great. never had an issue

Thanks everyone In that case I'll get the shark as its former owner is closing down his tanks.
Next question
How do I introduce the shark, some loaches and maybe tetra to the gourami tank? Should I remove gourami, rearrange tank and then add all fish together OR just float the newcomers in bags as usual?The gourami is used to having a tank to himself and has been a bully in the past.

Most reactions

Back