Will Neon Tetra's tail regrow?

nate40

Reaction score
20230222_224530.jpg

I picked up a used 15 gallon tank a couple weeks ago. The tank came with a group of 7 neon tetras, a couple snails and couple guppies. All the fish looked good except this one Neon that was missing it's tail. It was having trouble getting food because the other fish were faster. I moved it into a tank by itself so that I could make sure it was getting food. It has been eating but after a couple weeks I don't see any sign it's tail is healing. Will it grow back or is it stuck this way?

That might be a little too far gone for it to grow back.

A couple of my Penguin Tetras tail fins were nipped off and they grew back after 5 or 6 days but they weren’t as bad as the pic above.

Someone else might have a better answer soon

Poor little thing... doesn't look terribly healthy, not even accounting for the lack of a tail!

Looks like it's right into the body now, likely some kind of bacteria infection that got a hold due to a damaged tail. Keep the fish in the hospital tank and keep the water very clean through large, frequent water changes, and I might personally consider trying salt water treatment.

I wouldn't rate his chances very high, but the fact he's still living after a couple of weeks is impressive, so maybe he could pull through.

@Ichthys any ideas?

Fins usually don’t grow back if they’re right down to the body. If it’s eating then it’s not Neon Tetra Disease, which is good. Looks like it probably had finrot that is now cured(?) It does still look unhealthy though, quite thin.

There is always hope. This happened to one of my embers (she went through the filter). She is the one with the transparent tail in the top picture.
I have no reason to believe she isn't still alive and well but I can no longer tell her apart from the others.

This is true, I also had a guppy that lost a fight with a filter and fell out of the tank, but she won against the fungal infection and regrew her tail pretty quickly, and became the biggest chunkiest female guppy I had. Just lots of clean water, and salt water treatment.
DSCF0677.JPG
DSCF0915 (1).JPG

Here he is today. I don't see any sign of tail regrowth, but he has been eating every day. Before his coloring was dull ans he was hiding all day and only coming out to eat. I ended up adding a group of other small neons to the tank and now he seems much more comfortable. He spends way less time hiding and instead swims with the other neons. His color is brighter and, although he still looks skinny, he seems a little less so. I am sure it takes alot of extra energy swimming without a tail. I have been watching closely and haven't seen any aggression or nipping towards him.
20230227_144759.jpg

Here he is today. I don't see any sign of tail regrowth, but he has been eating every day. Before his coloring was dull ans he was hiding all day and only coming out to eat. I ended up adding a group of other small neons to the tank and now he seems much more comfortable. He spends way less time hiding and instead swims with the other neons. His color is brighter and, although he still looks skinny, he seems a little less so. I am sure it takes alot of extra energy swimming without a tail. I have been watching closely and haven't seen any aggression or nipping towards him. View attachment 312446
He does look better than he did! I'm sure the company is a big help, and I'm glad the others don't seem to be picking on him. You might just have a fish with a disability, but that can survive okay with it, especially if you keep an eye that he's getting food at mealtimes. I'm really cheered by seeing a positive update on the little guy! It's sweet that you've put so much effort into one neon. Your fish are lucky to have you. :)

Most reactions

Back