will a small mystery snail survive in a large tank?

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello!
I recently got 2 snails and I made a little home for them, but one of them decided to go outside.
I am thinking of removing or replacing the home because it turned into a fish trap lol, they would swim inside and then not know how to get out...
Will it survive in my 75g tank?
It is densely planted and there is a lot of mulm and rotting plants for him to feed on. there is duckweed as well.

I throw a pleco wafer in every few days to be on the safe side. Depends how clean your tank is algae-wise and how much excess fish food is available.
hmm, theres a ton of cories in the tank, so I can't put anything in there or it will be instantly eaten, and the other fish eat the food almost completely.
in terms of things that it can eat, there is not lots of mystery snail edible algae... but there is a lot of dead plants and debris
theres only a bit of hair algae which is not edible for them.

In my opinion, I think mystery snails prefer a large habitat. That's because they will grow up to 1in in the least, and they are actually pretty fast if they're healthy, so they won't have any problems with the space!
Also, Mystery snails Don't really eat algae, so the rotting plant will do, but they somehow do accept the wafers. That's depending on how much rotting plants there are.
I, too, have 2 mystery snails, and they live happily in my 29gal. So, in about 2-3 months (with the right care), they will grow larger and will consume the rotting plants with satisfaction.
And to sum it up, yes. Mystery snails can live a happy and healthy life in the 75gal with no problem!

In my opinion, I think mystery snails prefer a large habitat. That's because they will grow up to 1in in the least, and they are actually pretty fast if they're healthy, so they won't have any problems with the space!
Also, Mystery snails Don't really eat algae, so the rotting plant will do, but they somehow do accept the wafers. That's depending on how much rotting plants there are.
I, too, have 2 mystery snails, and they live happily in my 29gal. So, in about 2-3 months (with the right care), they will grow larger and will consume the rotting plants with satisfaction.
And to sum it up, yes. Mystery snails can live a happy and healthy life in the 75gal with no problem!
thanks! how do you target feed them?

thanks! how do you target feed them?
You don't really need to. They are really active critters, which means they will go around the tank to find food. All you need to do is drop a pleco block in an area where they go the most. 90 percent of the time, they will find it in a few short minutes!
But because of the rotting plants, they will not need special feeding unless for calcium, or if the plants are consumed.

If you see the snails munching on healthy plants, that would be a sign that you will have to start feeding them.

I don't see why you couldn't feed wilted spinach/blanched cucumber/other veggies people use for veg-eating fish at times, so long as you were mindful about removing the veg before it fouls the water. Cories wouldn't eat all of that.
I also feed my cories mostly on Bug Bites, so since this is scattered tiny insect bits, the snail would have an easy time grabbing some.

Don't overdo the algae wafers with corydoras. They do tend to go wild for them, but remember they need a mostly protein diet. They feed mostly on tiny critters they find in and on the substrate in the wild, so a high protein food is much better for them.

If mystery snails are the same as what used to be called apple snails in the UK, then my only experience with them I've had suggests that not only do they thrive in large tanks, they can breed like crazy in those large tanks! The yellow ones we had did anyway. So I wouldn't worry about the one surviving and finding food. It's what snails do.

If mystery snails are the same as what used to be called apple snails in the UK
From what I can gather, mystery snails are what we used to call brig apple snails, from the name Pomacea bridgesii, only they weren't actually that species but P. diffusa. (A bit like the krib mis-naming).
Now the UK government has repealed that law we can buy them again, though heaven knows what the shops will call them nowadays.

Most reactions

Back