will a goldfish eat guppy fry?

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi
Petco took all my fish. but later i see 3-4 guppy fry! real young. i don’t want anymore guppies, but i can’t kill them. 😞
would a large fantail gold fish eat the fry?
would grown rainbow darters eat guppy fry?

In my experience, any fish will delight in eating guppy fry, even adult guppies. Guppy fry are small and honestly fit into any fishes mouth so if you don’t want them then they will probably be eaten without your intervention unless they somehow manage to stay hidden from the other fish or your other fish aren’t interested for some reason.

Goldfish are lazy, not likely unless the Goldfish are big. Or there is no plants in the tank, floating plants will protect the guppy fry.

hi
Petco took all my fish. but later i see 3-4 guppy fry! real young. i don’t want anymore guppies, but i can’t kill them. 😞
would a large fantail gold fish eat the fry?
would grown rainbow darters eat guppy fry?
Not all goldfish will eat guppy fry but yes they "can"...
most fish will eat baby fish
Well put...! For not all fish will eat baby fish. But most wil...

A kid put some guppies into our large goldfish tank when I worked at a school. This caused a lot of drama and circle of life talk - goldies will eat adult guppies.

It also depends on how well fed the fish are. I have had female livebearers in a tank on their own with plants. The fish were well fed and they gave birth and didn't touch any of the babies. The same deal with killifish, barbs and rainbowfish. I had heaps of plants in killifish tanks and fed the adults really well and they ignored the fry, which grew up with the parents. We put rainbowfish in ponds and fed them well, several weeks later there were hundreds of fry everywhere. The babies grew up with the adults because the adults were well fed and there was plenty of room.

If fish are well fed, not stressed out and have space to move, they normally won't bother eating the babies because there is no need to. If fish are hungry or stressed, they will probably eat anything alive and small enough to fit in their mouth.

At this moment I do have Shubinkins and guppies also together and they leave another alone. Same goes for the fry that are also swimming there.

There is a point about stress eating.
I also notice that fish that won't eat their own fry will often devour other species.

Most reactions

Back