Will A Dojo Loach Clean The Algae Off The Wall?!?!?!?!

loginnow

Reaction score
I wan't a dojo loach, i'm just wondering if it'll eat algae off the glass....thanks

...Or not, loaches of that type are cold water river tank only if you want to give them a decent life... And dojo loaches prefer to be kept in groups.

Dojo's really won't dent any algae trouble.

The suckerbelly loaches will eat some algae, but aren't suitable for a standard community tank. They do much better in a species tank built for their needs.

If you want a suitable algae eater for a community setup look at a pleco (bristlenose for example are good for even smallish tanks) or ottos.

I don't think it makes much sense to buy an algae eater in response to an algae problem. If you have an algae problem, you should do more water changes and clean your glass and decorations in the process. Algae eaters only add to the bioload and will probably create more algae than they eat. In any event, you surely can't rely on an algae eater to keep your tank looking nice. Only cleaning it will do that.

The best solution to an algae problem is keeping your water in good condition, not giving your tank too much light and purchasing an aquarium safe sponge to scrub the algae off when you do a water change.

Even small plecos get to big for most anything under 20 gallons, otos can work in smaller tanks but require mature well cared for tanks. Algae shrimp are about the only low waste producing algae eaters, and as such are a good option for cleaning up planted tanks though they don't do much for algae on the glass.

Dojo loaches as with most other loaches love meaty foods, not algae. Dojos also get very large and practically all loaches prefer to be kept in groups. I love loaches myself, if you're going for the dojo look, a group of kuhli loaches are suitable in anything ten gallons and up. They're tropical, get on well with most community fish and are more colorful than the dojo loaches. They do need a sandy substrate and will spend most of their time hiding, though when they do come out they're very entertaining to watch.

Most reactions

Back