• Only Certain Kinds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Or Would Not Matter To You Whatever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bomag

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just thought what guys and ladys think about this topic get your replys on here be honest (i don't no if different countrys have different rules)
please say if you have and what they are many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I voted yes be/c I think that fish caught the wild can keep the captive population healthy by adding new genes to our breeding pools.

BB

Depends on if the fish is threatened or endangered in the wild or is abundant.

;) i voted no because if you are breeding good stock you would have healthy offspring for the most part.

i definitely think this applies to small animals as well. although i own six birds, i never bought them from the pet store they were given to me because their former homes could not care for them any longer.

this is such a messy topic for me - not really sure how i feel!

because all aquarium fish were captured at some point, so it would be in some ways contradicting to be 100% against it. it has also helped the longevity of species that are nearly extinct in the wild such as Endlers and Cherry Barbs.

However I don't like taking wild fish that could easily be bred in captivity, or fish that are endangered. I'm also not a big fan of keeping fish that have to be wild caught because if they can't reproduce in captivity, then they probably shouldn't be kept in small tanks. This is part of the reason why I haven't gotten into SW fish yet ...

I think you would be suprised just how many of the fish we see in fish stores are wild caught, without wild caught fish we would have pretty poor selections to choose from. The majority of the fish i keep have been wild caught as they either cannot be bred in captivity ( or havent yet as the case is) or grow too large to be suitable for captive breeding projects, if i was to be limited to just livebearers a few of the more commonly seen barbs etc and a handful of cichlids i would probably give the hobby up.

I may be wrong (feel free to correct me if I am!!!) but I think Clown Loaches are all wild caught, and I know a lot of us keep them, so you cannot really say no to it. I think we'd all be surprised at just how many of them are wild.

It really depends on the fish. Like luxum said, if it's endangered in the wild it shouldn't be captured. If anything those already in captivity should be put into breeding projects IMO.

I haven't kept any wild caught fish to my knowledge though I'm not against it so long as their numbers in the wild aren't threatened. I don't think the aquarium trade makes that huge an impact on many species of freshwater fish though some of them it clearly does, I think those are the exceptions.

Clowns are mostly wild caught as far as I know. Not many are bred in captivity because they are rarely ever kept in the right conditions to breed,

Clown loaches are now mainly captive bred in fish farms in the far east though a few are still being bought in from the wild.

Some commonly seen fish that are all wild caught are:

Cardinal tetras (and most other tetra species)
Pimelodus pictus (and virtually all if not all pimeloid catfishes)
Red torpedo barbs
Most loaches (Botias)

and many many more that i cant think of right now

some very interesting points there like has been said a lot if not all of the clown loaches we have kept are wild caught. and not many people might of thought this as they bought them.
also another line to think about is all these people over here in england that are trying to stop wild fish being caught in various countrys, these so called enviromentalists ( <- hope this is spelt right) are going to put many people out of jobs in there specific countrys they then will have to find more jobs which you can bet is going to be something like felling trees and destroying the enviroment another way after all in a lot of small villages fish catching is like the steel works is to sheffield.
hope everyone can understand my silly views and the way i have written it as i am not a brilliant person @ writing.

PS : hope the above has not upset anyone after all we all have different views

:thumbs:

CFC said:
Clown loaches are now mainly captive bred in fish farms in the far east though a few are still being bought in from the wild.

Some commonly seen fish that are all wild caught are:

Cardinal tetras (and most other tetra species)
Pimelodus pictus (and virtually all if not all pimeloid catfishes)
Red torpedo barbs
Most loaches (Botias)

and many many more that i cant think of right now
Yup!

A lot of L# pleco's are wild caught too :nod:

I have several wild caught fish. The best way to look at it is "Well, they're here now,SOMEBODY has to take care of them so it might as well be me"

Wild caught fish deserve a certain level of respect and appreciation for what they are.

Clown Loaches are now breed mainly with the use of hormones to stimulate breeding. But alot of fish are still wild caught as stated above, most Botias, Plecs, large fish (15"+) and many more are still being caught in the wild.

I do not like it, especially in the case of Marine fish and corals. I really don't like that. I would never keep them.

I never knew for a long time that so many fish are wild and I know that I have a lot of wild fish. I do not think it is right. I think it's better to keep an animal that has never known freedom in captivity rather than taking one out of it's natural environment.

Problem is that the pet shops I come across act as if wild stock are a good thing where as I would much prefer tank/captive bred.

Most reactions

Back