Why is one of my Rainbows lacking in color?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TacomaToker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve attached a couple pics. I have 3 Red Rainbow fish, a.k.a New Guinea Rainbows. 2 of them have a vibrant red color, while one seems to have a much deeper red color. The one with deeper red appears a bit less active. It’s not just the lighting, he really is way darker!! Any idea what is going on here?? Thank you!
A00437BA-95F6-431C-934D-69423507B27C.jpeg
89560F14-1670-4117-87BC-E083B0A96D9A.jpeg
id

It's just normal colour that dominant mature males go. The other two will get darker as they mature.

Make sure the GH of the water is above 200ppm and the pH is above 7.0.
Feed them lots of plant matter.
All 3 fish are males.
You need a picture or some coloured card on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

It's just normal colour that dominant mature males go. The other two will get darker as they mature.

Make sure the GH of the water is above 200ppm and the pH is above 7.0.
Feed them lots of plant matter.
All 3 fish are males.
You need a picture or some coloured card on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

Thanks Colin!! You are really helpful. It is a rainbow and Tetra tank, will the black skirt Tetras appreciate harder water?

And should I purchase a background or make my own?

The black skirts need softer water, it would be best to choose one or the other, or buy a second tank and have hard in one and soft in the other

The black skirts need softer water, it would be best to choose one or the other, or buy a second tank and have hard in one and soft in the other

Thanks for the help. What do you think is the best way to lower and raise hardness? I would totally love to do a hard and soft water tank.

You can increase the GH, KH and pH of water by adding Rift Lake water conditioner. These are mineral salts you add to water for African Rift Lake cichlids.

You reduce the GH by using a reverse osmosis (R/O) unit, a distillation unit, or rain water.

Thanks Colin!! You are really helpful. It is a rainbow and Tetra tank, will the black skirt Tetras appreciate harder water?

And should I purchase a background or make my own?
You can buy a background or paint the back of the tank or put some paper on the back.. It is up to you :)

Most reactions

Back