Why is my rosy barb glass surfing?

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!
My male rosy barb (Jeff) has lived in a 70l tank for almost three years. I brought him home with two friends. They seemed happy together, but then they died (cant remember how). This was about one or two years ago and Jeff seemed happy by himself. (There were other fish in the tank just not his species) A few weeks ago, I noticed he was glass surfing which was very alarming. Jeff had never done this before and I was very confused. I knew rosy barbs had to live in groups, but he seemed happier than ever by himself until then. He wouldnt stop surfing though so, I decided to get two ladies for him (I know they have to live in bigger groups but the tank isnt big enough for six). He's met them and seems to like them, I thought it was all fine until he continued glass surfing the next day and the next day. I decided to take matters into my own hands for Jeff to be happy.

So, I was looking on eBay a few weeks ago, and found a 200l tank for sale. It cost £65 with A LOT of extras. It also came with a peacock eel and two Kuhli loaches (fish wise).
So my question is, does he just want a bigger tank? Will he continue doing this in a bigger tank with more friends?
Also, should I get 3 more females or 1 male and 2 females, what's the best combination I should get. Will they breed? (I dont want hundreds of fry)
Thanks!

He may continue. They are super active fish, and sometimes "stereotyped behaviour" like that, the equivalent of a lion pacing in a cage, develops when the tank is small and the filtration doesn't move the water. It also happens when a fish has no outlet for its social needs. Rosys live in a world of sparring and rank, and when they are not able to act naturally, they can get a little weird. If your 200L can hold a group of 6 or 8, with 2 more males, it might settle because he'll get busy trying to boss around fish who are trying to boss him around. I know people like Rosys, and I avoid them. I used to work in a corporate setting...
Rosys are only really happy when they have someone they don't like around them. Ideally, more than one enemy. In a group, they can bicker and one up each other endlessly, and for them, that's joy.
I have no idea why I like those fish so much, but I think it's the sheer joy they take in being loudmouthed jerks.

Thanks, so I should get how many males and how many females? I have 1 male and 2 females currently

Most reactions

Back