Why is my Monte Carlo staying a browny colour?

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’ve had my tank for nearly 7 weeks now and my Monte Carlo has spread across the bottom at quite a speed. However the leaves are mostly a browny colour. Here’s a few pictures. I half dose flourish twice a week and put liquid Co2 in every day. Like I say it has spread fast but it just doesn’t look that lovely green. Any ideas?
4FDB409D-2608-4764-8F9D-A2770CDBFB6C.jpeg
40B7C739-BDC0-48B2-95D2-DC1D73945DE7.jpeg
11D06D33-EFB5-4962-9ACB-37DDC64CDD51.jpeg

Hi Tony, what sort of lights do you have in there and what is the substrate? It looks like you are getting some algae growing on it too so it might be worth diagnosing what type it is and what is causing it. I'm only learning curve of planted tanks but it would be worth looking at the contents of the liquid Co2 as it has some pretty nasty stuff in it and isnt really a good substitute for something like presurised Co2.

Hi Tony, what sort of lights do you have in there and what is the substrate? It looks like you are getting some algae growing on it too so it might be worth diagnosing what type it is and what is causing it. I'm only learning curve of planted tanks but it would be worth looking at the contents of the liquid Co2 as it has some pretty nasty stuff in it and isnt really a good substitute for something like presurised Co2.
Hi Wills,

thanks for the reply. It’s API’s Co2 Booster. All the other plants seem to be thriving it’s just the Monte Carlo what’s having trouble. It’s a 30 watt ciano light what come with the tank. Not sure on the PAR rating. With the algae could it be a case of my tank is still fairly new and it’s diatom algae?

It is probably diatoms to be fair - how big is the tank? Do you have any clean up crew? Would a group of shrimp be compatible something like Cherries or Amano?

Hi
It is probably diatoms to be fair - how big is the tank? Do you have any clean up crew? Would a group of shrimp be compatible something like Cherries or Amano?

hi Wills,

ita 150 litres. I have 2 nerite snails and 6 crystal shrimp. What else would you recommend for the clean up crew? Just done a bit of reading on the liquid Co2 and I might decide to get rid of it. The tank has really good circulation (1400lph) so I’m sure some Co2 is getting in there.

First on the plant itself...carpet plants are not always easy to grow because they usually need strong lighting, and with that comes more nutrients in balance. Some sites (Tropica for one) suggest this plant, Micranthemum tweediei 'Monte Carlo,' requires good light conditions and CO2 diffusion.

As for CO2, you are wise to discontinue the API CO2 Booster. This is glutaraldehyde and water, and this disinfectant can melt some plants outright. The fact that it is sometimes suggested to kill brush algae sounds warning bells, as any toxin that will kill algae is dangerous to say the least. If it should be overdosed, it can kill plants, fish and bacteria. It is used in hospitals to disinfect surgical instruments and kill bacteria elsewhere such as in embalming fluid. Don't let any get on your skin, as others have reported skin burns.

To get the light sufficient for the plant, it might mean algae has an advantage. We would need to know the light data to offer much on this. If the brown is diatoms that is one thing that may clear up. There are some fish that will eat diatoms, but I am always leery of suggesting fish because I have no idea if they will work or not in this particular tank.

Flourite by the way has been shown to have very little if indeed any benefit for plants, I had it for two years and then tossed it out, and others have said similar. I still had to use plant additives the same as with inert sand or fine gravel substrates. Flourite is also dangerous for substrate fish (cories, loaches, etc).

Thanks for the info Byron.

what substrates do you use?

Quikrete Play Sand in all tanks for the past 7 years. It is safe for all fish, plants grow (root) very well in it, and it appears natural. As you are in the UK, I believe Argos Play Sand is comparable (if I got the name correct, there are members that have it and they can comment).

what are your ammonia and nitrate readings? Yellow leave can be caused by a nitrogen deficiency. From my own experience with flourish it has very little nitrogen in it. So your other plants may be consuming most of the nitrogen in your fertilizer leaving nothing left for the Monte Carlo.

what are your ammonia and nitrate readings? Yellow leave can be caused by a nitrogen deficiency. From my own experience with flourish it has very little nitrogen in it. So your other plants may be consuming most of the nitrogen in your fertilizer leaving nothing left for the Monte Carlo.

hi Steven, my nitrates are somewhere between 10 and 20. I’ll test the ammonia later tonight.Do I want there to be 0 ammonia?

How deep is the tank? I think it might be that it the tank lights are not quite enough. I agree with Byron that pressurised Co2 would help Monte Carlo but there are plenty of examples out there where people have done it on a low tech set up and achieved very good results, it just takes longer and getting things right. I think having a plant specific substrate like Tropica Aqua Soil could be a good approach - this is what I am planning for my new planted tank.

Quikrete Play Sand in all tanks for the past 7 years.

Byron have you grown carpeting plants in the play sand? I'm curious what successes you will have had with it.

Byron have you grown carpeting plants in the play sand? I'm curious what successes you will have had with it.

I have not grown the true "carpet" plants by which I mean like the plant under discussion here, since I do not have sufficient light for most of these plus with cories or loaches in most of my tanks I like open sand areas. But I have grown pygmy chain sword plants Helanthium tenellum, and the small crypt Cryptocoryne lutea and both send out runners all over the place.

I have not grown the true "carpet" plants by which I mean like the plant under discussion here, since I do not have sufficient light for most of these plus with cories or loaches in most of my tanks I like open sand areas. But I have grown pygmy chain sword plants Helanthium tenellum, and the small crypt Cryptocoryne lutea and both send out runners all over the place.
I think Helanthium Tenelleum is a full carpeting plant so thats really interesting - what kind of root tabs do you use?

Most reactions

Back