why is my fish swimming less and weirdly?

gladys fishy

Reaction score
This is my fish. It has been acting a bit weird from yesterday. It is swimming slower than usually and although in the past it would always forage in the gravel, now it only occasionally does so for a short time. It also like flaps its fins for a while and then floatsl a little upwards. It's movenents have deceeased from last time but it is still eating well. Idk if it is because it had a ph shock a few days ago as i was changing water and the ph was diffetent. But i quickly went to put acid buffer into the water and it seemed fine. then yesterday i accidentally dropped something inside and it also got scared. it just seems a little lethargic and listless. oh also yesterday the water went down by 1 degree and today the water is one degree hotter is that a reason for this?can anyone help me? is the fish sick?

Attachments

• 15926165569377393689243355043465.jpg
    15926165569377393689243355043465.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
@Colin_T will likely be able to help.

Could you post a video of it swimming?
What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels?
What are your PH and GH?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change each time?

i tried to take a video of it but the forum say it is not an accepted file so i cant post a video. my ph is quite low at around 6.2 which is why when i was doing a water change the fish got shocked as the water that i put it was 7.5. i did almost and 100 percent water change although previously i usually did 50 percent water changes once a week. the ammonia is around 0.5 ppm and the nitrite is between 0 to 0.5ppm. the gh is between 75 to q50 and the kh is 0.

i tried to take a video of it but the forum say it is not an accepted file so i cant post a video. my ph is quite low at around 6.2 which is why when i was doing a water change the fish got shocked as the water that i put it was 7.5. i did almost and 100 percent water change although previously i usually did 50 percent water changes once a week. the ammonia is around 0.5 ppm and the nitrite is between 0 to 0.5ppm. the gh is between 75 to q50 and the kh is 0.
If it wont let you post a video post it to YouTube and give us the link

i also increased the heater temperature to 24 degrees and put a little salt in the tank as i heard that it was supposed to help with ph shock. i knew that it was having a ph shock as it was darting and thrasing around the tank. now it ocassionally darys and is a little more active that in the morning but i still dont think its ok. it is still eating well but it doesnt respond to my hand as quickly as before when i hand fed it and takes a while before eating ftom my hand.

the ammonia is quite high but i have put ammonia detox stuff and also stress guard from seachem and water conditioners to try and reduce the harmful effects of the ammonia.

the ammonia is quite high but i have put ammonia detox stuff and also stress guard from seachem and water conditioners to try and reduce the harmful effects of the ammonia.
The ammonia detox will only be effective for a few hours, then it reverts back to its toxic form. The stress guard will do nothing. Do a large water change. This is the only way to remove ammonia

Stop stuffing around with the pH. The fish is a goldfish and they need a pH above 7.0. If you put stuff in the water to drop the pH you can kill it.

Your water is cloudy. Is there a filter on the tank?

If the fish is floating occasionally it probably has air in its digestive tract and will fart it out after a day.

If it wont let you post a video post it to YouTube and give us the link
hi heres the link
Stop stuffing around with the pH. The fish is a goldfish and they need a pH above 7.0. If you put stuff in the water to drop the pH you can kill it.

Your water is cloudy. Is there a filter on the tank?

If the fish is floating occasionally it probably has air in its digestive tract and will fart it out after a day.
yes there is an external filter. so do i put things to increase the ph? i tried putting ph up from api but i didnt put too mich because i was scared it would shock the fish

If the tap water has a pH above 7.0, do not touch it. Just do water changes to bring the pH back up.

The fish is being blown around the aquarium by the airstone. Either move the airstone into a corner or reduce the air coming out of it.

Most reactions

Back