Why do people treat bettas as decorations?

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a younger sister who has a betta fish named Sapphire. And I don't have one yet. So why do people treat them like decorations and not living things? And why are they a part of the fake, abusive YouTube channels who put two or more in the same tank with incompatible fish?

I don’t know. I have often been wondering the same thing, like why do fish of the same size as betas need huge tanks and then betas can be kept in 3 gallons? For example the electric yellow cichlids is very aggressive, grows to 3 inches but needs a 50 gallon tank at least, so why don’t betas? I like how betas are allowed to be kept in smaller tanks because that would allow me to have one but it seems kind of unfair.

You don't ask the easy questions. There will be very different answers depending on the belief systems people follow.

Animals as decorations? Go further - with Betta splendens, humans have spent hundreds of years breeding them to have oversized fins, deformed scales, and even twisted bodies. It's not just a commercial activity - it's a sort of art. There are more questions than answers.

Our hobby has a couple of main streams in it - one is ornamental fish, and another is learning about nature through fishtanks. They cross over, but the ornamental hobby is the biggest one.

Why do people make cruel videos? Money, a need for attention, ignorance, stupidity, celebrity culture, because they can, and did I say stupidity...

Never forget that Betta splendens were also bred for behavioural traits, and selected for increased aggression in the same process applied to many bird and dog breeds. Why? People like to gamble on fighting. The colours and fins were originally so they'd make a better show.

I think a lot of it comes back to our commonly held belief that people simply aren't animals just like fish, ants, rats and deer. We put ourselves on a pedestal, and act like the animals we are anyway. We're the last surviving species in a branch of a primate group, and we've largely lost our understanding of nature and our place in it.

I don’t know. I have often been wondering the same thing, like why do fish of the same size as betas need huge tanks and then betas can be kept in 3 gallons? For example the electric yellow cichlids is very aggressive, grows to 3 inches but needs a 50 gallon tank at least, so why don’t betas? I like how betas are allowed to be kept in smaller tanks because that would allow me to have one but it seems kind of unfair.
There are answers to that one. Ecology. Bettas are ambush predators that hold tiny territories in crowded natural habitats. They look up and wait for insects to land on the water. They come from swampy water in many cases, and their inner ear has evolved into a sort of lung. They breathe surface air, and have a tolerance to water pollution. Those bred with big fins have lost that because the fins get infected, but the short finned wild fish is content living in a small zone it can control, and breed in. They can move fast to escape predators, but they keep to themselves.

So a small home is not an issue for them. It's how they live in nature - in small areas of large swamps or marshes. There aren't many fish species you can say that about.

A Labidochromis comes from a huge lake where it inhabits rocky outcrops. It eats algae and the organisms living in algae, and it has evolved to move around in search of its food. It is very social - Bettas react to crowding by holding fairly rigid territories and chasing other fish off, while mbuna like labs hold their turf , but have to swim out to get food. Mbuna live in enormous groups, with thousands of individuals of different species thriving in their rocky underwater islands.

Always look up how a fish lives in its natural habitat if you want to provide it with a good home. Make the tank fit for your fish, and don't make the fish adapt to your wishes.

You don't ask the easy questions. There will be very different answers depending on the belief systems people follow.

Animals as decorations? Go further - with Betta splendens, humans have spent hundreds of years breeding them to have oversized fins, deformed scales, and even twisted bodies. It's not just a commercial activity - it's a sort of art. There are more questions than answers.

Our hobby has a couple of main streams in it - one is ornamental fish, and another is learning about nature through fishtanks. They cross over, but the ornamental hobby is the biggest one.

Why do people make cruel videos? Money, a need for attention, ignorance, stupidity, celebrity culture, because they can, and did I say stupidity...

Never forget that Betta splendens were also bred for behavioural traits, and selected for increased aggression in the same process applied to many bird and dog breeds. Why? People like to gamble on fighting. The colours and fins were originally so they'd make a better show.

I think a lot of it comes back to our commonly held belief that people simply aren't animals just like fish, ants, rats and deer. We put ourselves on a pedestal, and act like the animals we are anyway. We're the last surviving species in a branch of a primate group, and we've largely lost our understanding of nature and our place in it.

There are answers to that one. Ecology. Bettas are ambush predators that hold tiny territories in crowded natural habitats. They look up and wait for insects to land on the water. They come from swampy water in many cases, and their inner ear has evolved into a sort of lung. They breathe surface air, and have a tolerance to water pollution. Those bred with big fins have lost that because the fins get infected, but the short finned wild fish is content living in a small zone it can control, and breed in. They can move fast to escape predators, but they keep to themselves.

So a small home is not an issue for them. It's how they live in nature - in small areas of large swamps or marshes. There aren't many fish species you can say that about.

A Labidochromis comes from a huge lake where it inhabits rocky outcrops. It eats algae and the organisms living in algae, and it has evolved to move around in search of its food. It is very social - Bettas react to crowding by holding fairly rigid territories and chasing other fish off, while mbuna like labs hold their turf , but have to swim out to get food. Mbuna live in enormous groups, with thousands of individuals of different species thriving in their rocky underwater islands.

Always look up how a fish lives in its natural habitat if you want to provide it with a good home. Make the tank fit for your fish, and don't make the fish adapt to your wishes.
I agree on your answer, but celebrity culture on bad YouTube channels? So Why is there such thing as celebrity culture in the fish world?

All what you've said is something I stand for as well. This is why I've visited endemic areas to observe fish and learn from that. I've always stated overhere and on other forums that you need to look at how fish live in free nature and adapt your tank to that. But saying this, can lead to people disagreeing from what I've noticed throughout the years. Of course, it's not possible for everyone to observe fish (which we call aquarium fish) in free nature. But it's really one of the best things to do to understand fish life as how it is. And that a lot of things that the commercial trade has come up with, are excessive to keep fish well. I've been raised with keeping things as basic as possible. And I'm still doing that and it seems that I have less problems with fishtanks and fish themselves in comparison to a lot of problems I read at forums that people have. Commercial trade has come up with lots of new stuff which makes a lot of people (and for sure novice aquarists) overthink too much. While fishkeeping can be done way easier. And don't get me wrong but young people are more sensitive to new aquarium gadgets (my apologies for using this word) which they also like to promote. But this will make a novice aquarist doubt wether they are doing things right or wrong.

Thanks Gary for putting this out here... 👍

All what you've said is something I stand for as well. This is why I've visited endemic areas to observe fish and learn from that. I've always stated overhere and on other forums that you need to look at how fish live in free nature and adapt your tank to that. But saying this, can lead to people disagreeing from what I've noticed throughout the years. Of course, it's not possible for everyone to observe fish (which we call aquarium fish) in free nature. But it's really one of the best things to do to understand fish life as how it is. And that a lot of things that the commercial trade has come up with, are excessive to keep fish well. I've been raised with keeping things as basic ass possible. And I'm still doing that and it seems that I have less problems with fishtanks and fish themselves in comparison to a lot of problems I read at forums that people have. Commercial trade has come up with lots of new stuff which makes a lot of people (and for sure novice aquarists) overthink too much. While fishkeeping can be done way easier. And don't get me wrong but young people are more sensitive to new aquarium gadgets (my apologies for using this word) which they also like to promote. But this will make a novice aquarist doubt wether they are doing things right or wrong.

Thanks Gary for putting this out here... 👍
Didn't know aquarium gadgets was a thing. My younger sister used to keep her betta fish in a ten litre tank. After realising his tank was too small, we've upgraded it into a 40 litre.

I agree on your answer, but celebrity culture on bad YouTube channels? So Why is there such thing as celebrity culture in the fish world?
It's the time period we live in that makes celebrity culture in this world. It's not only fish but also other animals. For instance, a lot of small dogs like chihuahuas that are sold very well wordlwide only to show off and not because of the love for dogs itself. For a celebrity came up with it, so that behavior will be copied by many.
But to come back to those fish videos on Youtube, everything that isn't correct makes a video attractive to watch out of curiosity. This makes the number of views go crazy and people make money out of it.

My younger sister used to keep her betta fish in a ten litre tank. After realising his tank was too small, we've upgraded it into a 40 litre.
First of all what the 10 liter tank concerns, I'd like to refer what Gary has already mentioned. So, it can be done. But of course, a bigger tank for any kind of fish is always better without a doubt. But again, he already explained why bettas can be kept in a small environment. And he's right in his explanation. But he's not saying that you also have to keep them like that. I really wanna makes this clear for not all will read a reply well enough and start becoming defensive.

There are fish gurus out there, just as there are rug-hooking, jewellry making and gamer gurus. I've met people who were famous for knowing about famous people - I recently met a British royal family worshipper who had become quite a niche celebrity for it. People like the attention and the self importance that can come from recognition, even if it's in a small corner of human society like fishkeeping.
I have seen youtube gurus develop whom I would not publish work from if I were their editor. They don't know enough. But they present energetically. To loop on the original question, people don't like questions. They want people who have answers, and whether the answers are right or wrong seems unimportant sometimes. Gurus and celebrities make it easy. They're a problem posing as a solution.
I like to think our hobby could make a lot of people ask a lot of questions, and could be a doorway to great learning. I know people who started with tanks and have ended up doing very cool things because of that start. But I've been in stores when people asked for fish that could match the curtains they were holding out photos of. I can't understand that, really. I can't get my nerdy head into that. But it exists and it is very mainstream. The guy who matches those curtains will be popular, and the person who says it can't be done because the fish in question can't live long in that tank will be called a jerk. Such is life, inside and outside of the fishkeeping world. Our little corner of things is no different from anywhere else.

By Odin’s beard . . . .
I forgot, there are also Lord of the Rings and ancient Viking religion gurus People like weird stuff. As the Vikings used to say, only dead fish follow the stream. But they also used to say you sometimes have to howl with the wolves you're with.

Odin's Beard is now the name of a line of scented hair oils

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the very late update: The post is doing well. I'm restarting the thread. Did anyone upgrade their Siamese fighting fish tank after reading the thread and the comments? I'm just checking if anyone has done a tank upgrade.

Nope... 3 gallons with an inviting landscape, near inexistent current, full of plants.

Free food all the time... He's like at the penthouse of a tower in Dubai.

Most reactions

Back