Why do manufacturers feel the need to change their products?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Yes I know, it's cost.

The flake food I currently have lists the ingredients as -
whole salmon, whole shrimp, wheat flour, fresh kelp, whole herring, wheat gluten, plus vitamins and astaxanthin.

Their new version contains - MSC krill, MSC fish meal, wheat bread flour, wheat germ, wheat feed flour, daphnia, krill oil (with natural astaxanthin), chlorella algae, spirulina, brewer's yeast, kelp, salmon oil, marigold powder and a few vitamins and canthaxanthin

They've gone from whole fish to fish meal and more wheat products which fish can't digest :(. Guess who will be looking for a different flake food.......

Yes I know, it's cost.

whole salmon, whole shrimp, wheat flour, fresh kelp, whole herring, wheat gluten, plus vitamins and astaxanthin.

Their new version contains - MSC krill, MSC fish meal, wheat bread flour, wheat germ, wheat feed flour, daphnia, krill oil (with natural astaxanthin), chlorella algae, spirulina, brewer's yeast, kelp, salmon oil, marigold powder and a few vitamins and canthaxanthin

They've gone from whole fish to fish meal and more wheat products which fish can't digest :(. Guess who will be looking for a different flake food.......
What does MSC stand for?

Marine Stewardship Council from what I can find.

Product change for different reasons:
cost to produce; some items in the product no longer available; improvements; attract new buyers; (for foods or meds) some ingrediants no longer legal; ....

The bottom line they change for one of the following:
effectiveness of the product
legal
availability of the material (legal or otherwise)
cost to produce
(I'm sure i missed 50 or so)
Anyway change is sometime good but sometime not so good.

At least with this fish food I noticed in time that they've changed the colour of the lid so that made me look what else they've changed.

I used to have Omega One fish food but suddenly it wasn't available here which is why I had to find a different brand. Now that one has changed.

At least with this fish food I noticed in time that they've changed the colour of the lid so that made me look what else they've changed.

I used to have Omega One fish food but suddenly it wasn't available here which is why I had to find a different brand. Now that one has changed.
Yea I'm not sure what is up with omega-one - i see you are in the uk and here in usa it is also very hard to find. I wonder if they went out of business.

It's Oase Organix Daily Flakes. The first ingredient list in post #1 is what's written on my grey lid tub; the other list is from their current website page.
They've also changed the lid from dark blue-grey to white, which is what alerted me to check the ingredients as well.

Thanks for the information. What are you going to get instead?
What do you think of New Life Spectrum Optimum? I suspect the wheat flour is less than ideal...but the rest looks good?

1722018904106.png

That's the brand I've been looking at :)
Northfin also make a 'community flake' but it's a very large tub which would last me years and no-one in the UK seems to sell it, not even the shop in Peterlee which sells other Northfin products.

I use New Life Spectrum Optimum for my livebearers and supplement with algae- spirolina mixture, repashy and tetra color flakes in rotation. The fish go crazy for New Life Spectrum Optimum.

Yes I know, it's cost.

In some cases, it wasn't necessarily cost as much as supply chain issues.

Most reactions

Back