Why Are Brothers So Stupid?

You can never go wrong with toys R' us sand,and java fern,java moss and crypts are nice-low maitenance plants.

bogwood is also nice to have - you can grow some java fern/moss on it - but remember to soak it well! I LOVE vallis :wub: too. i have a row of valis at the back of my tank - makes a nice live green background. maybe an amazon sword as a centerpiece plant if the tank is big enough. i have argos play sand, an amazon sword, crypts, 2 anubias which are NOT surviving (not getting them again), cambomba, java moss, java fern, this strange grass plant and vallis. for decor i have a piece of bog wood with some java moss on it, large rocks, a heap of smaller rocks and some plant pots.

yeah unless some one here has a great way to keep anubias alive then dont get it, mine started out with 10 leaves, it grew one, then over the next 2 months the thing turned brown and there is 1 leaf left :angry:

however my amazon sword is apparently flurishing and so is my money wort.

btw expect die-off when you put plants in, its just them "acclimating"

yeah unless some one here has a great way to keep anubias alive then dont get it, mine started out with 10 leaves, it grew one, then over the next 2 months the thing turned brown and there is 1 leaf left :angry:

however my amazon sword is apparently flurishing and so is my money wort.

btw expect die-off when you put plants in, its just them "acclimating"
are you planting just the roots, or are you planting the roots and rhizome (long bulb at the bottom?) if your burying the rhizome it will rot and kill the plant.

i have tried it every which way, floating, buried, root buried. i have also feterlized it an evry thing! the leaves turn yellow and fall off.

Didn't you say it grew one and there is only one left?
If so...is it the one that grew originally?

Cause it may just be die of and the plant may recover.
I've got to say I've always tied anubias to bogwood or rocks etc and I've never had a problem. I've found them to be incredibly hardy and low maintenance.

no, the one that grew fell off 3 weeks ago, and actually there are 2 leaves left not 1 :hyper:

would it be better off just floating around than i the ground right now? or should i just trash it?

i think maybe i added the anubias/es too early when there were loads of algae outbursts. they are now totally algaefied especially GSA and some BBA (!). A book on aquariums recommends them as hardy - and i *unfortunately* believed them. i now have 2 dying anubiases on my hands - one is half yellow and the other is about 70% algae. im relieved its not just me that keeps killing them though! other plants are growing well though, so dont know what im doing wrong :look: :crazy: . the rhizomes are half buried or they will just float and take a trip round the tank, probably ending up stuck behind the filter. dont know if thats ok for them though :unsure: . anyways... those anubiases are really getting on my nerves. the GSA is so tough that to get rid of it you have to dispose the plant. How Annoying. lol

i think my rhizome is buried, its just the main plant showing, but i have nothing to anchor it to and it probably has lost its roots.

ame goes for some of my moneywort. anyone have an idea on how to anchor plants on top of the substrate?

You're meant to attach the anubias to something such as wood or rock to give it the best start. As it needs constant lighting to get established, if it's left free floating during the acclimatisation period then it could wither due to changes in light.
Also whilst it's acclimatising it's not going to be great if it's buried in the ground.

Oh and if the leaves get covered with algae, you're meant to just remove the leaves, not chuck the plant. However if it's a particularly bad algae outbreak then obviously it will die because it's very slow growing so cant replace it's leaves fast enough.

Just grab some large pebbles or rocks to tie them too. And if you can only see the main plant then yes you will have buried the rhizome.

Alternatives to rock/wood would be some plastic mesh/netting. You could tie the roots to it, then bury the netting under substrate and the plant should then be high enough above the substrate to still survive.

can i use regular string or plastic wire?

ok thanks and sorry about my invasion of this thread pest control! at least now you know how to take care of anubais :good:

bogwood is also nice to have - you can grow some java fern/moss on it - but remember to soak it well! I LOVE vallis :wub: too. i have a row of valis at the back of my tank - makes a nice live green background. maybe an amazon sword as a centerpiece plant if the tank is big enough. i have argos play sand, an amazon sword, crypts, 2 anubias which are NOT surviving (not getting them again), cambomba, java moss, java fern, this strange grass plant and vallis. for decor i have a piece of bog wood with some java moss on it, large rocks, a heap of smaller rocks and some plant pots.

thanks.

ok thanks and sorry about my invasion of this thread pest control! at least now you know how to take care of anubais :good:

no worries.

Most reactions

Back