White Sugar Like Substance On Plants

dannym

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there all

I am new to fishkeeping i have had my 60 litre tropical tank for 2 weeks & have 2 weeks knowledge in fish/plant keeping, anyway i have noticed a white sugar like substance on the tops of the leaves on my plants i only have 4 plants & i havent a clue what they are called all i can tell you is they are live plants ranging from 6-10 inches tall and this white stuff is not growing on the plants it comes off when touched but im baffled to what this white stuff could be at first i thought maybe some aqua plus or cycle that had not dissolved or some sort of poison in my water, i have 13 fish in a 60 litre tank i heard that i have too many fish for the size of my tank and i wondered if it was something to do with that..

2 silver sharks (small)
2 pleco (small)
2 angel fish (small)
2 blue raindows (small)

And 5 other fish not sure what they are called but they look like goldfish about 2 inches in length..
any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou very much indeed..

Danny..

Any pictures?

Long term I am guessing you also know that most of your fish are way too big for your tank?

Interesting quote from Tropica.com :

"At intensive photosynthesis, pH is rising on the leaf surfaces and in some case it may lead to the precipitation of calcium carbonate."

Do you use CO2 in your tank?

Most reactions

Back