White stuff on my Spider wood

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TropicalCod

Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve got some white slime on my spider wood. The spider wood has been in my cube about a month now and I’ve been cleaning it off every few days as it’s growing into my java moss .

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this or if it’s just the wood going through some decaying process.

It’s visible in the middle of the photo below.

Thanks in advance ?

F6594FEF-06B7-4EB6-85A5-D7AB3A61370D.jpeg

Hi all

I’ve got some white slime on my spider wood. The spider wood has been in my cube about a month now and I’ve been cleaning it off every few days as it’s growing into my java moss .

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this or if it’s just the wood going through some decaying process.

It’s visible in the middle of the photo below.

Thanks in advance ?

View attachment 127811

I think its is natural bacterial film growing on the wood, it usually happens the newly purchased or introduced wood to your tank. No harmful effects to your plants or fish. Overtime it well eventually go away naturally.

I affectionately refer to it as "driftwood snot"....totally harmless, some fish will even nibble on it...and as noted above, it will eventually go away on it's own, no need to fret over it...

LOL - driftwood snot. That's awesome.

Totally normal and harmless as others have mentioned and will go away on its own.

Same as above, had it on some sandblasted grapewood in my tank. It'll go away, It's a sign that the natural healthy processes are taking place....embrace it!

Yeah the spiderwood is notorious for producing the most disgusting snot I have ever seen, it is what led me to stop using it.

It goes away, Nat!....hi there

It's never been THAT bad on my SW, but I've experience with small pieces only...

Hey Matt!?

Yeah it was a piece I put in a tank a couple years ago and the stuff looked like it was dripping off. I even rinsed it off and it came back just as bad. Shame as the DW was a gorgeous piece.

Should have sent it to me, and let me pay shipping, FOR ONCE...

Most reactions

Back