White Spots On Molly

Seanyboyrulz

Reaction score
Yesterday i introduced a molly and a siamese flying fox into my established planted tank and the molly today developed whit spot. There are a numerous variety of other fish in there and because its planted i can't use the simple increase temp and put salt in water solution. However, im also running low on ich medication and i was wondering if it would be too late to take the fish out and treat in a quarantine tank. ANY advise would be good. My LFS is quite far away and i would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Yes I went through the same problem when I brought in some molllies. A few things I have learnd since then

1 Always quarantine new fish for a two weeks at least
2 Once white spot is visible it is probably already too late to teke it out and treat. I would just treat the whole tank
3 Increase aeration and temperature to be upped to at least 28 c , 30 c if the fish will take it. I think most plants would be able to withstand an increase in temp( besides its only for a few days)I have range of plants in my tank that have'nt suffered at all( cabomba, hornwort, elodea,ambulia etc.)
4 Treat IMMEDIATELY with Protozin or similar . Follow instructions ( but I have treated for longer then recommended periods with no problems) and halve dose for scaleless species.
5 Gravel vac and partial water change halfway through treatment ( before next dose so there is no dilution of medicine)

That should do it

Yes I went through the same problem when I brought in some molllies. A few things I have learnd since then

1 Always quarantine new fish for a two weeks at least
2 Once white spot is visible it is probably already too late to teke it out and treat. I would just treat the whole tank
3 Increase aeration and temperature to be upped to at least 28 c , 30 c if the fish will take it. I think most plants would be able to withstand an increase in temp( besides its only for a few days)I have range of plants in my tank that have'nt suffered at all( cabomba, hornwort, elodea,ambulia etc.)
4 Treat IMMEDIATELY with Protozin or similar . Follow instructions ( but I have treated for longer then recommended periods with no problems) and halve dose for scaleless species.
5 Gravel vac and partial water change halfway through treatment ( before next dose so there is no dilution of medicine)

That should do it

Thanx, I will do that immediately. I usually do quarantine my fish however due to a complication which arose when the molly gave birth i had to move her to the main tank prematurely. Looks like i bought her pregnant and didn't even notice. Maybe its time for me to get a few more tanks :good:

Most reactions

Back