White Spot

phil204

Reaction score
I spotted my cardinals(which are now dead) 2 weeks ago with white spot and immediately went out and bought interpets #6 anti white spot treatment. Things were looking good after a few days but on day 5 the amount of spots increased 3 fold. To cut a long story short I have continued the treatment as per the instructions and temp has never fallen below 28c and the remaining fish are still banging against rocks and showing signs of distress. My 3 cherry barbs have still got white spots on them. I'm at my wits end and don't want to lose any more fish. I have just added a 4th dose today and did a 30% water change on Tuesday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tank-juwel rekord 96l
Filtration-standard
pH:6.8
ammonia:not sure not haven't got a test kit
nitrite:0
nitrate:2
kH:3d
gH:>6d
tank temp:28
tank is approx 5 weeks old, planted with gravel substrate

I have to say that I was warned to cycle my new tank for at least six weeks before adding any fish...... and I note yours is only 5 weeks old now. I confess, the nitrate/nitro info will mean a lot to an expert (which I am not!) but the evidence points to a water problem more than white spot to me.

Will go get my book!!!!!

BRB

I'm assuming beacuse my nitrites are at 0 and they have been for a while my tank has cycled, I did add rocks and plants from my old tank which speeded up the process. I think the white spot came from my barbs or some plants as these were both bought rather from my old tank.

I would (Reading up) do another 30% water change.......

and get some aquatic salt too, if you can use salt with barbs. I have a 45 ltr tank (10 galls approx) and would add 15 level spoon fulls to the water.

It seems that whitespot (ich) is often caused by chilling, ie not matching the temperature of the water on returning from the shop with new fish, or when doing a water change. This could be your problem (or one of them!)

sorry cant be more help.

Not sure matey, I was never clued up on nitrite and nitrate levels to be honest..... :blush: although I do test and have the relevant kits under my sink!!!! I had run ins with ich for months when starting out...... and changed my LFS. That solved the problem. :devil:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=128879

worth a read.......advocates salt too.

Most reactions

Back