White spot on my neon tetra mouth

Berksou

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Please have a look at the pic of one of my neon tetra. It's like a white dot. What do you think this is? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_181504.jpg
    IMG_20220411_181504.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_20220411_181502.jpg
    IMG_20220411_181502.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 218
How long have you had it? Any other fish in the tank? How many tetras total do you have?

Seems like dreaded "tetra disease" or columnaris. If it's either this can spread quickly and wipe out your tetra school.

Isolate that fish if at all possible in a quarantine/hospital tank asap, make a big water change on your tank and keep an eye open for other tetras to ensure they don't start showing similar discoloration anywhere on their bodies.

It could be a fat lip (bruising) or the start of mouth fungus.
A fat lip will heal up by itself over the next week.

Mouth fungus (Columnaris) is a nasty flesh eating bacteria that will spread rapidly over the face and head and kill the fish in the next 2 days.

It could be a fat lip (bruising) or the start of mouth fungus.
A fat lip will heal up by itself over the next week.

Mouth fungus (Columnaris) is a nasty flesh eating bacteria that will spread rapidly over the face and head and kill the fish in the next 2 days.
I have observed this few days ago and no big change in the shape and size of the white ball. Can we then eliminate fungus and hope for fat lip?

It could be the virus that we are seeing more of these days which causes a white lump on the mouth of neon tetras. Well, a virus is the best anyone has been able to come up with so far. It seems to be incurable and the fish behaves normally until the lump reaches the size where it prevents the fish eating. The usual advice is to keep an eye on it, and when it becomes incapable of eating, that's the time to euthanise it.

It could be the virus that we are seeing more of these days which causes a white lump on the mouth of neon tetras. Well, a virus is the best anyone has been able to come up with so far. It seems to be incurable and the fish behaves normally until the lump reaches the size where it prevents the fish eating. The usual advice is to keep an eye on it, and when it becomes incapable of eating, that's the time to euthanise it.
yes i had this on my neon tetras, it was white/gray and grew very slowly. it was hard and solid and when the fish was held down and the growth was poked with tweezers it didnt budge at all. the fish all lived well until it got too big, wheb it was so big it couldn't eat i was forced to euthanize

I have observed this few days ago and no big change in the shape and size of the white ball. Can we then eliminate fungus and hope for fat lip?
If it hasn't changed in 2 days then it's either a fat lip from swimming into something, or the neon virus. Just monitor it over the next few days to weeks and post more pictures if it changes.

Most reactions

Back