White guppy failing

Familyfishny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi folks, our white guppy has had many offspring in the six months or so she’s been with us, but over the last week has started failing. She is thin and swimming crooked, seems caught by surface tension at the top of the tank, and has a ragged caudal fin. Any advice?
IMG_8597.jpeg

She's almost through her lifespan. And if she had many or large batches of fry, it will also shorten the lifespan.

Thanks, emeraldking, that’s good to know. She was hugely pregnant the whole time she was with us, and it certainly looked like it would strain her system. What is an average life span for a guppy?

What is an average life span for a guppy?
One from Asia might live 6-12 months after you get it, maybe 2 years maximum.

One from a local breeder could last 3-4 years.

If you treat all new livebearers from Asia for gill flukes and intestinal worms as soon as you get them, they should live longer.

Thanks, emeraldking, that’s good to know. She was hugely pregnant the whole time she was with us, and it certainly looked like it would strain her system. What is an average life span for a guppy?
Colin has already beat me before I could reply... 😉 So, you've got your answer...

It sounds like whatever is going on in our tank isn’t life span related. I will post a separate thread about it. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Most reactions

Back