White fuzzy spots on dwarf gouramis

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cassy141

Reaction score
Hi! I have two dwarf gouramis, and I noticed on the one he had white fuzz on his two feelers. Granted I thought I was from two days ago when he got stuck in one of the rocks. He was flipping out. But I had to stick my hand in there and turn him about to get him out. Anyways I also noticed today my other one has a pretty big spot on his side. What do I do?! I've had ick before on my neon tetras and this looks nothing like it. All the other fish look good swimming like normal.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1712667434.jpg
    Snapchat-1712667434.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 150
Need a better picture.

If it's white and fluffy then it's fungus. Fungus is a secondary infection that gets into open wounds.

------------------
A broad spectrum fish medication that treats fungus, bacteria and protozoans might help. But you need to find the underlying cause of the wound so it doesn't happen again.

You can also try salt. Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep the salt levels up for 2 weeks and see if it helps. You can use salt and medications together if you need to.

------------------
Before you treat the tank, do the following things.

Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

------------------
The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have some spare time.

Most reactions

Back