White film on the top of the tank

August FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishyboi27

Reaction score
so I noticed last Saturday after I did a water change it caused a white film to form on the top is it harmful to my plants and snails

Will you please upload a picture of the film?

Are you sure it was white? Are not a silver/rainbow color?

Will you please upload a picture of the film?

Are you sure it was white? Are not a silver/rainbow color?
20210417_152236.jpg
it looks like its white

Looks like bubbles that got trapped under Bio-film, which is harmless. In fact, many species of shrimp and snail like to eat it.

This can be caused by water quality issues or sometimes just because something changes e.g. I've seen it occasionally after a major clean up or plant thinning and in such circumstances it soon settles down and will disappear.
Also, I have a Juwel Bioflow internal filter. When I turn it off to do a water change, water inside the filter runs out of the intake and can leave a film on the water surface. Once I turn the filter back on it soon clears up, though if it looks too bad I do sometimes skim it off with a plastic cup first.
Another thing to be mindful of us if it is something that came from you! A couple of times I have put my arm in the water and caused a film because I had forgotten that I had applied sunscreen! In those circumstances I always skim it off - no harm has ever become of this but obviously it's something to avoid!
Whatever the cause of yours is I would recommend skimming it off but unless it persists I wouldn't worry at this stage as it will probably resolve itself.

This can be caused by water quality issues or sometimes just because something changes e.g. I've seen it occasionally after a major clean up or plant thinning and in such circumstances it soon settles down and will disappear.
Also, I have a Juwel Bioflow internal filter. When I turn it off to do a water change, water inside the filter runs out of the intake and can leave a film on the water surface. Once I turn the filter back on it soon clears up, though if it looks too bad I do sometimes skim it off with a plastic cup first.
Another thing to be mindful of us if it is something that came from you! A couple of times I have put my arm in the water and caused a film because I had forgotten that I had applied sunscreen! In those circumstances I always skim it off - no harm has ever become of this but obviously it's something to avoid!
Whatever the cause of yours is I would recommend skimming it off but unless it persists I wouldn't worry at this stage as it will probably resolve itself.
I did like a 50% last Sunday because I dosed with medicine for parasites and it started the top white film and thank you guys for helping a noob at fish keeping ill keep you guys posted if it gets worse

Most reactions

Back