Which tank ?

DXG

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade my rio 240 with something a little bigger, but am resticted by space to a 5 foot tank.

I've been looking at the rio400 and rena classic 150X50. The rena is far bigger but only in height and therefore no difference in surface area.

The rio is cheaper, but I'd have to pay extra for a decent filter.

The rena is very expensive (about £800 with cabinet) but comes with filter so I think I'd end up paying about the same for both.

I think:
RIO400 + Eheim 2028 = OK tank plus good filter
Rena classic = Good tank plus OK filter.

If you were spending £800 on a new tank, which would you buy ??

BTW - the wife insists that I only buy new !!!

Without a doubt the Rena. In fact I plan to get the 150 within the year. Apart from looking nicer, and coming with all the extras, it has a larger capacity (not just height - there is no internal filtration to reduce capacity) but it also has the same footprint - one that fits nicely onto an existing piece of furniture I have. You can buy the tank with all accesories (excluding stand) here for £630.

To put it simply, external filtration over internal, neater looks, more capacity (another 140 litres). Lucky you to be shopping right now, and with your spouse's support! :D

i have a rena tank for xmas

nice tank only problem is the filters i had the XP3 filter plus i got a second one, after 10 days i got total cheesed off the the noise of the and changed to 2 eheim 2028

WOW what a difference not a sound

apart from rena filters i am 100% happy with my new tank

Well Guys,

The Rena was on my list until both my Wife, and the guy at the LFS both held me down on the floor and told me it would'nt fit in the space I have.

I still have recurring flashbacks..

I still want it, but must build an additional barn on the back of my house to accomodate it :p

Sorry to hijack a little, but hounds4u, Did you flog the Renas? Or are they now 'stock' items for backup purposes?

Sub.

I have the Rena 150, the XP3 is a good filter, but personally I don't think it is enough for a tank that size, so I run an Eheim wet/dry 2229 alonside it.
It is a great tank, and compared to the Juwel 400, better looking and better built. The only problem I have is that the depth makes it hard for me to reach the bottom of the tank at the back!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rena have just introduced a new model of this tank now as well with a slightly different cabinet (looks nicer IMO) and better hood. The hood on my tank has awkward little knobs to lift up the plates, but the new one has proper sunken handles like juwel tanks!
Heres a pic of mine:
DSCF0672.jpg

I am not at all envious! :whistle: :D

RVM, LMAO! :D I have upgraded my tank to a 220 litre temporarily until we move home and I can find space for the Rena. I reluctantly accepted that (considering the only place I can keep a tank now) the Rena would be a little overwhelming. This temporary tank is 20 inches deep, and I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom :D The Rena is higher still, but I won't complain too much, since this is only really a problem when planting.

I also intended to use a second filter on the Rena, in fact I have just bought an Eheim Pro II 2028, so I will run that alongside the XP3. If the XP3 turns out to be too noisy, I will invest in another Eheim. (LMAO! :D that is if hubby will accept any more expenditure! :p )

Hi Dave
Just out of interest what are you planning to do with your rio 240? I'd love to upgrade to something like that if my hubby would allow and am located quite close to you, if you are thinking of selling it I might be interested

:D

Hi Trio,

Good question !

I've promised a friend first refusal, if he doesn't want it, I'll PM you.

Just hoping now that I don't have to wait long for the new tank to arrive !

hi

sorry to say sub.42 i traded in my 2 xp3 filters as they where only a week old and got 2 Eheim 2028 at a very good price

Dave

Most reactions

Back