Which Shrimp

tropicalgirl2007

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I would like to add some shrimps to my tanks, can somebody advise me on which is the best to buy?

hi again !

4 algae get amano shrimp, otherwise i would say all shrimp r good scavnegers its just a matter of if u like a bit of colour or any other prefrence.
i like cherries personally

hi again !

4 algae get amano shrimp, otherwise i would say all shrimp r good scavnegers its just a matter of if u like a bit of colour or any other prefrence.
i like cherries personally

Thanks, Guess I will be waiting for you. :)

lol i dont mean 2 sound like a cheap advert, its really up 2 u :good:

Hi,

I like Bamboo Shrimps, they are quite big and make an interesting contrast in size to the Amano. First you see this small little shrimp happily scuttling along the substrate in your tank and then all of a sudden this ruddy great Bamboo shrimp appears and scares the living daylights out of you, at least it did to my wife when she first saw them. :rolleyes:

Richard

r bamboo the filter feeders? they look quite good but there a fair bit bigger than "normal" shrimp

Yes, bamboo shrimps are filter feeders, and they are quite big. The next size up from them is giant african filter shrimp who are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge (try 6"+!)

Massive, but totally harmless.

Both types of filter shrimp need a decent current in a tank and something to hang on to so they can filter food out of the water current.

They will scavenge off the tank floor as well.

If you have a planted tank your best bet is the bamboo shrimps as giant africans are extremely clumsy, get stuck in places, freak out and dig up plants n stuff. Mind you mines doing ok, but he doesnt need to move much from his hiding spot.

Hi,

My shrimp seem to be out all the time. In fact when they are hiding I get a bit paranoid because I cant see them and think something has happened to them. I have put some suckers onto the glass immediately below my filter outlet pipe and the bamboo's hang off of these. I did have a piece of wood that I moved closer to the outlet pipe so that they did not have to hang there but they prefer the suckers instead.

Richard

Hi,

My shrimp seem to be out all the time. In fact when they are hiding I get a bit paranoid because I cant see them and think something has happened to them. I have put some suckers onto the glass immediately below my filter outlet pipe and the bamboo's hang off of these. I did have a piece of wood that I moved closer to the outlet pipe so that they did not have to hang there but they prefer the suckers instead.

Richard

Hiya,

I got a Bamboo Shrimp around a week ago and I think he/she is great, I really look forward to seeing it come out and operate it's fans :lol:

Do they start coming out more and more as they get use to the tank environment?

My outlet is right near the top of the tank, will he/she climb up to it or will I have to look in to getting it lowered?

Thank you

Martin :good:

Most reactions

Back