Which Livebearer Is Less Likely To Eat Its Young?

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
Just wondering....
*** Which livebearer is less likely to cannibalize its young?
*** Which livebearer usually has larger drops?
*** Which livebearer has the shortest gestation period?

just some Q's... :)

Guppy:
~28 Day gestation
2-200 fry drop (usually 30-60)
Will eat young

Molly:
~30 day gestation
2-200 (usually 20-50)
Will eat young

Platy:
~30 days
2-50 (usually 24-48)
Will eat young

Swordtail:
~24 days
2-200 (usually 20-40)
Will eat young

Endler:
~23 days
2-20 (usually 6-10)
Sometimes eat young, less than Guppies or Mollies, though.

Goodeid:
~60 days
2-40 (usually 5-30)
Rarely eat fry

The main livebearer to most unlikely eat thier fry is Black chins

Ive found over the years platys tend to have the biggest drops.

I was considering setting up another of my ten gallons purely as a breeding tank - which livebearer would fit happiest? and how should I decorate it so the maximum number of fry live?

I was considering setting up another of my ten gallons purely as a breeding tank - which livebearer would fit happiest? and how should I decorate it so the maximum number of fry live?

Personally id go for black chins, or endlers if u cant get hold of black chins.

As long as you well plant the tank you will be fine, but to be fair even that is not necessary with these cos its rare they eat the fry..

Have a look at this vod of my black chins...

Adult black chins

they are quite interesting looking - but I have never seen them at a lfs around here - only livebearers I ever see are guppies, platies, and mollies - never even find endlers :huh:

The least likely to eat their young is almost any goodeid. I just don't lose fry to my goodeids.
The largest fry drops that I see are from my swordtails at over 100 each time.
The shortest gestation period at only 23 days belongs to my endlers who can fill any tank to exploding in under 6 months.

i just wish i could find some goodeids or endlers around here....for some reason the stores around me REALLY like guppies, mollies, platies, goldfish, neon tetras, angels, and various cichlids.....I went out looking for goodeids and endlers....tried 2 petsmarts, one petco, pet supplies plus, AND two privately owned fish stores - NONE of them had either fish :/
anyone on here breed these fish and are looking to sell me some in the US :)

Where are you located Jenste? I find that club auctions are a great place to find rare or less common livebearers. Around my area, livebearer enthusiasts are fairly common and club auctions are a great source of new wild type fish. In my own case, I concentrate on getting wild type goodeids into my tanks and my personal care. I also use the ALA convention as a source for livebearers of more or even much less common fish. I will be in attendance again this year looking for hard to find livebearers. My tanks are starting to overflow with just such fish since I attended last year's convention. One of these days I would like to also attend the BLA convention to meet similarly interested livebearer keepers.

Rhode Island USA....I am a member of my local club...unfortunately I work thursday through sundays....and cannot make most meetings or auctions due to my work schedule :(

Personally id go for black chins, or endlers if u cant get hold of black chins.

As long as you well plant the tank you will be fine, but to be fair even that is not necessary with these cos its rare they eat the fry..

Have a look at this vod of my black chins...

Adult black chins

Are Black Chins some kind of guppy? The plain white (presumably) females look just like female guppies. The ones with black chins (males?) also look like female guppies

Black chins are Girardinus metallicus.

You will have to go careful with Goodeids in a 10 gallon; a few species would be OK, but many will be too big for a tank this size.

My goodeids are mostly kept in 20 gallon or larger tanks but some of the smaller ones do fine in a 10 gallon. Most goodeids have other benefits for frugal fish keepers as they do not require a tank heater to thrive.

According to my experience i have had Black molly fries 3 times and each time i saw that hardly any of my young fry was eaten and the molly gave birth just the next day when i bought it from the pet store.

endler dont eat their young as their mouths are very small, and swordtails have specially shaped mouths to feed from the top so i think they are less likley too also, although why you would want a tank full of livebears is beyond me, i just put some floating plants for top cover and the fry hide, the week or slowswimmers are also picked out.

Most reactions

Back