Which External Filter For A 72X24X30

herbie76

Reaction score
hi, ive recently purchased a good sized tank and am looking at different filters. i plan on keeping my frontosa's and clown loachs in there and probably some other malawi's. just wondered what is the best external filter out there for this size tank? would 1 filter be enough? ive heard several people talk about eheim and fx5 filters. from what ive heard eheim are more expensive but a better quality, please help :)

I personally love Eheims, and have recently splashed out on some from the 3e series. IME/from what I've heard, FX5 are cheaper and have more mechanical filtration, while Eheim are more expensive and have more biological filtration. Both are relatively reliable.

I was not so keen on my Fluval external (not FX5), which is why I replaced it with an Eheim. The only bad thing I have heard about Eheim was that the incorporated heaters were a bit over the top. For me the Eheim clogs less, which is very convenient because I travel a lot and often get friends to look after the tanks while I'm away.

hi, ive recently purchased a good sized tank and am looking at different filters. i plan on keeping my frontosa's and clown loachs in there and probably some other malawi's. just wondered what is the best external filter out there for this size tank? would 1 filter be enough? ive heard several people talk about eheim and fx5 filters. from what ive heard eheim are more expensive but a better quality, please help :)

for an, accurate, comment on filters. we need to know the tank volume.

as for which? well the FX5 flows more than the Eheim PRO3 filters. but the Eheim has better (not more or less) biological filtration. indeed the Eheim media is amongst the best.

looking for a filter is a Bit of a head ache. many of us would suggest a 5x (real) turnover. thing is the stated flow for most makers is, actually, quoted as more than twice the true flow. ( usually measured with no media and furniture, in essence, just quoting the pump power)

the FX5 is far more noisy than the Eheim, something to think on. it also has "proprietary" pipes. making fitting things like in-line heaters a problem. that said both, for tanks of 400-500l are fine. however, if you are looking at volumes of more than that. perhaps its worth looking a a sump system.

for an, accurate, comment on filters. we need to know the tank volume.

as for which? well the FX5 flows more than the Eheim PRO3 filters. but the Eheim has better (not more or less) biological filtration. indeed the Eheim media is amongst the best.

looking for a filter is a Bit of a head ache. many of us would suggest a 5x (real) turnover. thing is the stated flow for most makers is, actually, quoted as more than twice the true flow. ( usually measured with no media and furniture, in essence, just quoting the pump power)

the FX5 is far more noisy than the Eheim, something to think on. it also has "proprietary" pipes. making fitting things like in-line heaters a problem. that said both, for tanks of 400-500l are fine. however, if you are looking at volumes of more than that. perhaps its worth looking a a sump system.
the tank holds 650 litres, i would rather have a quieter filter. ive seen on a few forums that the fx5 is noisy. if i went for a eheim which model would be best to go for and do you think 1 or 2 will be needed?

I have an fx5 and an Eheim pro 2 on my 650l.

i cant understand why people say the fx5 is noisy, i have just opened my cupbord and put my head inside :blink: and it humms quietly, a fridge makes more noise!

i cant understand why people say the fx5 is noisy, i have just opened my cupbord and put my head inside :blink: and it humms quietly, a fridge makes more noise!
hi, thanks for your reply, what fish do you keep? do these filters do a good job?

I currently run a FX5 plus a 2078 on my 540l (60x24x24).

For your bigger tank I would suggest two FX5s (at £138 each), two Eheims (a larger Pro3 or 3e model, ~£250 each), or two APS 2000EFs (£75 each).

hi, thanks for your reply, what fish do you keep? do these filters do a good job?
650l 1x GT, 1x Firemouth, 1x Red Spotted Severum 1x Royal Plec 4x Pictus catfish 20x Culumbian Tetra
1x FX5, 1x eheim 2028

in my opinion these filters do a great job

go with sump if you can. I have a fx5 and a eheim 2078e and prefer the fx5 , seems to do a really good job

Most reactions

Back