Where To Put Spray Bar?

codeajohnson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just quick question about the new Cascade 700 canister filter I bought. It came with a spray bar and I was wondering whether or not the spray bar had to break the surface tension to create oxygen? Or if I can just put it below the water line so I don't have to hear the "waterfall" noise. Thanks for any help!

its gotta break the water tension to generate oxygen.... UNLESS... u run an airhose down to it and pump air into it in the the water through that... its what I do... I just shoved my airhose into a hole in the spray bar... looks neat to cause it shoots air in the tank with no noise

Hi everyone,

I just quick question about the new Cascade 700 canister filter I bought. It came with a spray bar and I was wondering whether or not the spray bar had to break the surface tension to create oxygen? Or if I can just put it below the water line so I don't have to hear the "waterfall" noise. Thanks for any help!

well if you want surface agitation, you will need it just above or at the surface. if the outlet holes are below the surface, it should just create a downward current in your tank water and not neccessarily disrupt the surface tension.

One thing to try is place the spray bar about 1/3 to 1/2 off the bottom of the tank and place the outlet jets towards the surface. this should agitate the surface and create O2/CO2 exchange without the waterfall noise. (Note: Adjust to proper height depending on water pressure leaving jets of spray bar)

its gotta break the water tension to generate oxygen.... UNLESS... u run an airhose down to it and pump air into it in the the water through that... its what I do... I just shoved my airhose into a hole in the spray bar... looks neat to cause it shoots air in the tank with no noise

This doesn't actually inject the O2 into the water. The bubles that are created again, break the surface which allows for gas exchange... just wanted to be clear with this :good:

Put it underneath about an inch and point it slightly upwards for a rippled surface.

no but SOME of the bubbles going into the water dissolve into the water adding oxygen to the water...... when you aim it to the surface it kinda doesn't move the water around in the bottom of the tank which can cause problems depending on how big the tank and what filter your using

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I will just place it about an inch below the surface and point it upwards as suggested. Thanks again everyone

no but SOME of the bubbles going into the water dissolve into the water adding oxygen to the water
From what I was told from a knowledgeable person, was air bubbles don't really make a difference in the water colomn because they go to the surface to fast. It's the agitation on the surface that creates the exchange. I had asked about it when I got my first canister filter. I think it was Moderator Ferris that I learned that from....don't quote me. I've read soo much, I kinda get confused sometimes, but I'm sure it was a Moderator. :good:

I put spray bar just below the surface and aim it upwards. ;)

Yeah, I agree on the 45 degree suggestion instead of fully upward. Now that you mention it Dan, that works well in a friend's tank setup exactly like that.

EDIT: oops, typo

basically it boils down to surface agitation and whether or not you want a directed current. at long as the first goal is met, you should already be fine.

Most reactions

Back